From:
Jim Lyles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Mar 1995 09:50:26 EST

     In both this forum and in conversations with celiacs, I've noticed a
disturbing tendency:  People are relying on how they react to some foods
to determine if a food is gluten free.  This is a dangerous game to play.
Some celiacs feel a reaction to small amounts of gluten, others do not.
However, ALL celiacs will have villi damage when they ingest gluten,
whether they feel anything or not.  If it is only a small amount of
gluten, then there is only a small amount of damage, but the damage
occurs none-the-less.

     If you let how you feel guide you in what you eat, then you may feel
fine while undergoing repeated damage to your intestine.  Even if the
damage is slight, there is a long-term health risk.  For ANY part of your
body that is continually damaged or irritated over a long period of time,
I believe there is an increased risk of cancer or lymphoma.  That's why
smokers get lung cancer, sun bathers get skin cancer, those who chew
tobacco get throat cancer, etc.  That's also why celiacs that don't
follow the diet have an increased risk of small intestine lymphoma (or
carcinoma, or whatever the term is!).

     How much gluten is acceptable?  I believe the goal should be NONE.
That means NEVER eating anything that could have gluten.  If you don't
know for sure, then avoid it.  Since there will be occasions when you
unknowingly eat something with gluten, it only makes sense to always
avoid any questionable food.

     With this in mind, I would categorically state that anything derived
from a gluten source is suspect.  Malt, malt powder, malt syrup, and malt
flavoring are usually derived from barley.  Since barley contains gluten,
I believe you should avoid all forms of malt unless you know its source
to be rice or some other gluten-free grain.  Also, I believe that wheat
starch should be avoided at all costs, since it comes from wheat.

     I have no doubt that malt and wheat starch are low-gluten products.
But for a celiac, the goal should be NO gluten, not low-gluten.