From:
Amber Campbell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 21 Mar 2003 20:44:43 -0700

Other Information

-Here is a link to the families of grasses - it helped me see the
relationship between the different grains.
http://wheat.pw.usda.gov/ggpages/topics/tree.jpg

Molecular mimicry is a term I've heard explained in the book "dangerous
grains". e.g. a very compromised intestinal tract/immune system may
mistake the gluten in corn for instance with the gluten in wheat, as
they are similar, as is casein, the protein in milk.

-Ener-G Foods (www.ener-g.com) carries some breads and other products
that might meet your needs.  Check them out on the web or you can call
them at 80-331-5222.  Also, Enjoy Life Foods (www.enjoylifefoods.com)
has products for people with multiple food sensitivities.

-The Allergy Self-Help Cookbook (2001 edition) by Marjorie Hurt Jones.
All of the hundreds of recipes in this book are corn, egg, gluten, milk,
sugar, soy & yeast free

-stock up on things at Passover time - many items gluten and corn-free
(watch out for matzoh meal or passover cake meal in ingredients).
available in supermarkets (Passover aisle)

-I have had wonderful luck using Carol Fenster's Cookbook "Special Diet
Solutions".  She gives alternative ways to make all sorts of things, and
has worked out subsitutions more accurately, I think, than any of the
other authors I have tried.  My family loves her recipes, and so do my
guests!

-Some more tips:  Children's medience definietly do not use liquid
tynoel

or Moltrin because of the corn in it. There really wasn't anything on
the

market for fevers now Tyneol has come out with a surpository and has no
corn

in it.

Substitute arrowroot flour for cornstarch in recipes.

Peanut Butter use I.M. Healthy Soynut Butter (Peanut free).

Toothpaste: I suggest Natural Toothpaste for Children by Tom's of Maine

Jelly: probably may have to make your own because most or all jellys
have

corn syrup in them.

Regular jello has corn in it, soda pop has corn in it. May have to go

organic juices that don't add ascoribic acid to it (acoribic acid is
made

from corn).

Use Sea Salt instead of Morton Table Salt because dextrose is a from

corn and Morton salt has dextrose in it.

Baking Powder has corn in it, use Featherlight Baking Powder

Powdered vanilla has corn it. Use grain free or Organic vanilla. No

corn in it

Recipes

-Found this recipe on a card while moving files last week...
My notes says it from Tastings by Jenifer Harvey Lang
Tomato ketchup
Blend in blender until a powder
1 1/2 tsp. salt  (I would add part now & check seasoning later, esp if
tomato. juice
1/2 tsp. black peppercorns
1/2 tsp. mustard seed
1/4 tsp. celery seed
pinch of cayenne

Add & blend again until smooth
2-15 cans tomato sauce  (or start with 60 oz of tomato juice & cook to
reduce)
2 Tbs. minced onion (2 tsp. dried)
1 garlic clove

Simmer 30 minutes, stirring frequently, until it mound loosely.
Add:  4 Tbs. plus 2 tsp. corn syrup
             (from http://www.recipesource.com/misc/hints/index4.html
              use 1 1/4 C sugar+1/3 C liquid boiled to equal 1 Cup Light
corn syrup)
         4 Tbs. plus 2 tsp. cider vinegar
         2 Tbs. plus 1 tsp. fresh lemon juice
Continue heating until well mixed
Strain (if desired) & refrigerate

-try this recipe and replace the "corn starch with tapioca" you should
be fine as I juggle corn, potato starch, and tapioca when or if I run
out of one of them.

Flour Tortilla

1/4 cup corn starch
1/4 cup tapioca flour
1/4 cup potato flour (not starch)
1/4 cup white rice flour
1/4 cup brown rice flour
(white rice flour makes them look store bought)
1 teas salt
1 1/2 teas guar gum (xantham gum)
1 1/2 teas baking powder
1 1/2 TBLS oil
1/2 cup water (or a bit more as needed)

sift dry ingredients together well; add oil and water; mix/knead well;
rest for minimum of 10 minutes; roll very thin and fry in very little
oil.

I make the dough into little balls and let them sit for an afternoon.
Then I use my press.  Also the balls keep in fridge well so the kids can
fry up tortillas when they want.

-celiac.com has a flour tortilla recipe up right now.  i am going to

try it soon, but i haven't yet