From:
Chase Delaney <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 21 May 2002 11:36:40 EDT

Dear Listmates,
I am hoping to expand my diet to include buckwheat, and possibly other grain
alternatives such as amaranth and quinoa, if I can tolerate any of these.  I
am an extremely sensitive celiac.  So before I begin to experiment with these
"other" grains I thought I'd ask the list about experiences with them:  any
success stories out there with ingesting any or all of these alternatives?
Any particular brands of buckwheat, etc., that have worked?  I am aware of
possible cross-contamination issues in the manufacturing/transport of grains,
but have read that certain companies go to great lengths to address these
issues.  I am in the Northeast U.S., so brands available here would be most
helpful.
       The website, www.celiac.com, suggests that these grain alternatives,
though once thought unsafe for consumption by celiacs, are now believed to
indeed be safe, though each individual is different.  But there is no
substitution for ACTUAL experiences, so ..... anyone had any luck with this?
Thank you, in advance, for your responses, and I will of course summarize
them.