From:
The Dietary Specialties Shoppe,Inc. <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Apr 2001 15:16:40 -0400

Residing in Philadelphia and watching Renee Chaunalt at least once a week
on TV I was interested to see this report.  However, I was disappionted
right away with the title.  And somewhat angry. "Chemical found in food
that could make you sick."  I thought I was reading a story about a new
pesticide.  All foods have what you could say are chemical components but
I think the media is misleading as usual.  Additionally, there have also
been recent stories about Gluten being bad for you and avoidance can
relieve headaches,fatigue etc. This is primarily due to the media's
misunderstanding of Celiac Disease and what Gluten really is.  As far as
I know gluten is a naturally occuring component in certain grains that is
part of protein. If you choose to identify protein as a chemical that is
technically not incorrect but the lay public would not use this
description. On the other hand, I am happy that Celiac Disease is getting
attention and being more recognized and diagnosed but this is not a fad
diet and people who are not gluten intolerant or non-celiac may be
mislead to believing this diet is good for them when it with most
products being higher in fat and calories this is simply not true for a
non-celiac.  Additionally, people trying to self diagnose hear this and
think this is whats wrong with them too when it could be a different
disease or disorder. I feel the media should be moe responsible with
their stories and information when they send it out to the masses and
general public which has very little knowledge about Celiac Disease let
alone what Gluten is.

Chelsea
Phila,PA