From:
Rick and Laurie Lochner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Jun 2000 10:08:27 -0700

Hi Everyone,

I wrote recently asking why my 3 year-old daughter was
having green bowel movements. She didn't have
diarrhea, it was the consistency of clay.

Thanks to the many people who responded, and I believe
you all have helped me find the answer! Several people
suggested the possiblity of food colorings in things
such as popsicles, koolaid, jello, etc. My daughter
has been eating Dole popsicles, especially the grape
and raspberry ones. I believe this is my answer. But,
now another question: does this reaction happen only
to those with celiac disease? I have never before
encountered such a thing. The other suggestions I
received are:
Grape koolaid, pop, or juice
Two people mentioned similar experience with blue
slurpees!
Cake icing, Fruity Pebbles cereal,
Fresh blueberries,
Green candies, certain chewing gums, blue cotton candy
Green medicines,
Blue or Red food colorings
Green beans
Play dough or finger paint, crayons

One person suggested that the green bowel movements
could be biliverdin, a breakdown product of blood.
They suggested getting stool tested for occult blood.

Another person suggested getting blood also tested for
malabsorption of iron.

I appreciate all the many responses I received. I hope
my summary helps some of you who had the same
question.

Laurie