Date:
Mon, 24 Mar 2003 19:01:52 -0500

I eat at the (Taste of china) and bring my own can of chicken broth and soy sauce . I ask them to make me a stir fry with fresh chicken or shrimp. Than I have rice and hot tea.

***

Most Chinese food is not GF because the soy sauce has wheat in it. Other of the sources may have soy sauce or wheat in them.

***

3 different Chinese restaurants:  one would not give me anything but the steamed meat and veggies on plain rice, and I hadn't brought any GF soy sauce so I suffered smelling the other dishes while I ate my dry one;   the other have looked at my card spelling out my restrictions, and both places told me I could eat meat /veg dishes with the "white" sauce, that has no soy, has cornstarch, and I suspect some chix broth(?) which I didn't investigate, but just ate and enjoyed with no problems.   Good Luck!

****

I eat at a chinese restaurant every friday with my brother (also a Celiac.) Because we eat there every friday they have "adapted" nicely! ;) We gave them the 3 column chart of do, don't, and just to be safe avoid,
from GICare.com  (http://www.gicare.com/pated/edtgs06.htm) and they have posted it in the kitchen.  So they recognize us and tell the chefs to use that as their guide when they cook for us.
Because we go in every week after our explaining that we needed items minus the soy sauce because it contains wheat, and explained that we had found San-J wheat free soy sauce for use at home, the owner tracked down a wheat free soy sauce through one of their distributors and they now use that for us.
I should note that I know we are spoiled because we are "regulars" and we leave a $5 tip to say thank you every week!  But a night off from cooking is worth an extra $5 to me! ;)
So, what do we order?  (I'll only list the things we think have come out tasting just as good despite changes.)
KungPao Delight (mix of meats) or Chicken.  No/Special Soy Sauce.  (It comes VERY spicy by nature, just as an FYI, so you may want to say no spicey.)
Twice Cooked Pork, no/special soy sauce.
MooShoo Shrimp, no/special soy sauce, no pancakes.  (If I ask they'll bring me big lettuce leaves to wrap it in which is VERY good!)
Fried Rice, no/special soy sauce.
There is a white sauce that has no soy sauce in it that they made all our dishes with one night, and that was good, and they said Gluten free... so you may do well to ask what comes in the white sauce.
One night we had WONDERFUL chicken wings, that were made with corn starch and egg whites.  So no gluten.
They also say that some of their noodles are rice noodles, but not all -- so ask rather than assume.
If you take your own wheat free soy sauce most places will happily cook with that, I've done that at several Japanese Steak Houses.
I'm trying to think what othe advice I can offer, but none comes to mind.
A lot of the soups have a dash of soy sauce in them, same with the salad dressings, so make sure to ask.
We also go to a Mongolian BarBQ three or 4 times a month, and as long as they clean the grill, and cook only our food on it, and we avoid soy sauce, combination sauce (which has soy in it) and noodles we do fine.
In our experience, once you find a place you like and begin to frequent it things go real smoothly.  Everyone knows us and we now say Special Soy Sauce for our peace of mind, not because they need to hear it. :)

****