From:
Stephen Rowe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Jan 1997 11:50:51 +1030

Here's hoping someone can see something I can't and point me to what I am
doing or eating that is wrong.

I have been a diagnosed with CD since 1989 at age 36.  Once the diagnosis
was made, rapid recovery from weight loss, vitamin deficiencies etc. was
made.

The usual occasional problems since then - eating something that contained
gluten without knowing it, but otherwise OK.

However, recently I have been having repeated problems with unknown
'contaminants'

Take today.  Breakfast (around 8am) consisted of cup of tea (milk and one
sugar - I found in 89/90 that more than two glasses of milk a day also
upset my stomach), four slices of gluten free sultana bread (commercially
purchased - ingredients below) and that's it.

During the morning, because of the weather today (it is 25 celsius or 80
farenheit with 50% humidity) and the fact we are painting the hous <g>, an
icy pole and an apple have also been eaten.  In other words, nothing eaten
or drunk since 8 pm last night. (Evening meal was salad, roast meat and
glass of white wine).

The stomach was OK until about half an hour ago (11am).  Start of stomach
cramps together with onset of diarrohea - my usual symptoms from eating
gluten infected food.

BUT - where was it?

The bread ingredients are Maize cornflour, skim milk powder, sultanas,
spice, salt, bi-carb soda, raising agents 575 and 500 and water.  The icy
pole sugar, vegetable gum(412 - guar gum), food acid (330), flavour (no
break down given) and colours 102, 110, 122, 133 and 155.

I have checked all of the listed ingredients and none show that they should
be a problem.

Any help would be appreacited because, as it stands at this stage, the
culprit looks like the commercial gluten free bread and I hope THAT isn't
the real problem.

Regards,

Stephen Rowe
RaceTime Computing