From:
Jill Eisenberg <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jill Eisenberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 Jan 2013 17:44:07 -0500

Thank you to all that replied to my email. We had a great weekend in
Nashville and there were so many GF options!

We stayed at the Embassy Suites Hotel and despite our late arrival due to a
delayed flight, they were able to accommodate my son with a Burger on a
lettuce ³bun² (I had a GF roll with us, so that worked out even better).  In
the morning we went to the complimentary breakfast.  The cook was aware
of/and pointed out what he could have safely and also prepared him a made to
order omelette.  We had lunch at Jasonıs Deli which has a nice salad bar and
the option to make any sandwich on GF bread.  My son chose to have a
sandwich which was prepared with cross-contamination precautions.  Dinner
was at Sunset Grill where the menu indicates with an * which selections can
be prepared Gluten Free.  He enjoyed dinner and the bonus of a terrific
crème brulee dessert.  The Gluten Free highlight to our trip was by far at
The Pfunky Griddle.  It is a place where you get to cook your own pancakes
and French toast (among other things).  The restaurant has griddles
available that ONLY are used by GF customers with GF spatulas and offer GF
pancake batter and GF French toast.  We were so full from brunch that we
didnıt eat until dinner which was at the Mellow Mushroom, a pizzeria that
makes their own GF crust in a dedicated area and has a separate station with
GF toppings.  My son was able to get a GF sandwich wrap for lunch at the
Vanderbilt cafeteria the next day and then it was time to go home.

Other suggestions are summarized below:

I work at Vanderbilt.  Here are some GF friendly places relatively close by:
TacoMamacita has a gluten free menu.  I eat there a lot and have never
gotten sick.
PF Chang has GF menu included in their regular menu.
Maggiano's has gluten free pasta.  Also, their chef will speak to you
personally about your GF meal.
Amerigo's has a GF menu, but I've only eaten there once and the server
offered me regular bread to eat while I waited for my GF pasta.  Perhaps
they've worked the kinks out by now.
A little further away:
I haven't eaten at A Matter of Taste on Franklin Road but I understand it is
very GF friendly and have GF desserts and bread.  They are only open for
lunch.
Sunflower Cafe in Berry Hill does not have a GF menu but the owner is very
saavy regarding special diets.  They have GF desserts.
I understand Local Taco on Murphy Road is GF friendly with a knowledgeable
staff though I haven't eaten there yet.

http://www.theceliacscene.com/Gluten_Free_Fast_Food_Chains_in_the_USA.html

I live in Nashville, and there are several good places to eat.
Right near vanderbilt is:
mellow mushroom, it's a pizza place and the have GF crust.
http://mellowmushroom.com/store/nashville
PF Changs is very close by as well. http://www.pfchangs.com/menu/
Jasons deli has Udi's bread and an excellent salad bar.
http://www.jasonsdeli.com/our-food
Teds Montana Grill : I haven't been here but they have a GF menu.
http://www.tedsmontanagrill.com/menu/download/TMGGlutenFreeMenu.pdf
If you have a chance to get away from that area you can try Porta Via.
Italian food> best GF pizza I have had in the states. probably 15 mins west
of vandy on white bridge road. http://www.eatatportavia.com/menu.php
The Wild cow is in East nashville, excellent fresh, local, mostly vegan/GF
place. 15 mins east of vandy. http://www.thewildcow.com/twc/
The Pfunky Griddle, has good GF breakfast options, pancakes, french toast. 7
mins away.  http://www.thepfunkygriddle.com/ThePfunkyGriddle/Home.html

Maggiano's, PF Chang's, and Outback on West End.  Other restaurants nearby
would be Cabana, Sunset Grill, Giovonni, in that general area.  There should
also be a Five Guys burger and fries somewhere near there

There's a fun place in Clarksville, I believe the name is the Potato
Bowl. Everything is GF including the fries.

We actually have some college reviews on our website (
http://glutenfreetravelsite.com/glutenfreecollegereviews.php ).
Here is one specifically for Vanderbilt and its dining services:
http://glutenfreetravelsite.com/Vanderbilt-University/64/2769.php

I have a freshman at Vandy.  There are lots of grab and go muffins, cookies
etc. In the commons snack bar and rand snack bar.  The cafeteria staff will
make gf food pretty quick if you talk to the manager.  Lots of chains with
gf options nearby including mellow mushroom, panera. Jasons deli, pf changs.
It's pretty easy to find gf in and around campus

There is a Whole Foods near the Green Hills mall.  There is also one in
Franklin, TN which is a bit south of the University.

Take a look at the glutenfreecat.com blog for good suggestions. My favorite
is Bricktops which is right by Vandy

Check out the gluten free Vanderbilt facebook
page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Gluten-Free-Dining-at-Vanderbilt/172647
446080250?fref=ts
Also, Matter of Taste has awesome bread, sandwiches, etc.
Mafiaoza's has the best gf pizza
Burger UP has great burgers, house made gf buns, gf fries (awesome!)

http://amerigo.net/resources/PDF/Gluten-Free-Menu.pdf

P f changs, Logan's,Jason's deli, chili's, panera, porta via Italian - pasta
and great pizza, outback, maggianos pasta, tin angel - chef is great.

Jason's Deli that makes GFree sandwiches right by the university (2028 West
End Ave) and there is also a great BBQ place that has mostly GFree food
(they can tell you what you can eat) called Hog Heaven

http://www.nashvilleceliacs.org/dining.html

http://www.glutenfreegeek.com/blog/gluten-free-restaurants-in-nashville-tn/

A Matter of Taste (I actually just read that that deliver food to the Vandy
cafeteria)--8th Ave
Burger Up --12 south

Thank you again to all that took the time to reply.
Be well,
Jill