From:
wendy pandolfo <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
wendy pandolfo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Jan 2007 20:36:51 -0800

This study is not saying that it is safe to consume up to 50mg of gluten daily.  It is saying that the tested amount was up to 50mg daily and there were people who reacted at all levels tested (one had a relapse at 10mg).  Therefore: "The ingestion of contaminating gluten should be kept lower than 50 mg/d in the treatment of CD."

  Whether we want to or not, we are all getting low levels of gluten from somewhere.  The study is encouraging us to be very careful with our diets.

  I found this on another website:
  "A value that has been suggested as safe is exposure to about 30 mg/day. This is a tiny amount. With typical wheat flour having 40% gluten, 30 mg comes from less than 100 mg of wheat flour (a teaspoon full is about 3,000 mg, so 1/30th of a teaspoon). This amount would allow for inadvertent inclusion of something that contains traces of gluten in various meals. In determining an upper limit, it was found that daily exposure to 2.25 grams of wheat gluten (thus about 5.6 grams of wheat, around 2 teaspoons) in children with celiac sprue who had gained complete recovery after a gluten-free diet, yielded a return of symptoms after 1-15 months. The delay in generating symptoms, sometimes for over a year, suggests that 2.25 grams is close to the minimum value, so it is possible that 1 gram of gluten daily might be tolerated. "  (from this site:  http://www.itmonline.org/arts/gluten.htm)

    Wendy Pandolfo

  Photography by Wendy
  817-590-0671
  http://www.photographybywendy.photosite.com/