From:
"Mara E. Levin" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Dec 1998 08:23:56 EST

<I had a post yesterday asking me if I knew how to make condensed milk from
anything like soy milk, etc. Does anyone have any ideas on this?>

My daughter requested pumpkin pie for Thanksgiving. What a dilemma! One of my
heroes, Dr. Andrew Weil, says shortening is a no-no. I had a bag of gf pie
crust mix, but it calls for the forbidden shortening. But, I figured, once a
year won't kill us. (I know there are crumb and butter crusts, but I can't
have any dairy either.)

Then, what to do about the liquid in the pie? My rice drink is so thin, I
didn't have any confidence in it. (Has anyone else tried it in pumpkin pie?) A
friend had recently introduced me to cooking with coconut milk, which is
pretty thick. So, I substituted coconut milk for the sweetened condensed milk.
The pie was thick, delicious, and had a heavenly aroma.

I liked it so much, I forgot to ask my daughter if she liked it. My family has
been very sweet... if I find something gf and df that I love, they tend to
leave it for me. So I ate the pie for breakfast the next two mornings, too.
I'll have to ask my daughter tonight if she enjoyed her brief encounter with
the pie.

Mara in MA, USA