From:
Jim Lyles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Feb 2001 23:50:05 EST

:                                       :
:  Excerpts from _Gluten-Free Friends_  :
:  -----------------------------------  :
: Fall 2000      R. Jean Powell, editor :
:                Montana Celiac Society :
:              1019 So. Bozeman Ave. #3 :
:                    Bozeman, MT  59715 :
:.......................................:

Cooking Philosophically
-----------------------
by Carol Fenster, PhD

Carol Fenster, author, speaker, and food advisor, presented a program
at the Montana state convention in August.  This article contains
highlights from her presentation.

Food Tips
---------

Bread:
  * Use a mix of flours, not just one.
  * Have all ingredients, except water, at room temperature.
  * Warm the eggs with warm water and use large eggs.
  * Use fresh, regular-rising yeast.
  * Carol prefers mixing the dough by hand, but she also uses the
    Welbilt bread machine.
  * Water/yeast temperature should be 105 degrees F.
  * The amount of moisture needed in the dough is important, and
    depends on numerous factors such as preference, humidity, and
    altitude.
  * Allow the dough to rise in a room-temperature oven, not on the
    counter or in the air where it can dry out.
  * Gluten-free dough needs to rise only once, and shouldn't be
    allowed to rise as high as possible, for it exhausts the energy of
    the dough.

Pizza Crust:
  * Carol uses Red Star Yeast and a non-dairy liquid called Soy Dream
    (Rice Dream is not considered gluten-free).  Together, heat them a
    little to start the yeast; then add a touch of cider vinegar.
  * Oil non-stick pans with a Misto-machine, which oils evenly.
  * There is a palate adjustment that we must make in order to accept
    the gluten-free taste.  Add spices such as Italian seasoning to
    ease the adjustment.
  * If you decide that the dough needs more moisture, add one
    tablespoon at a time.
  * Use a shaker filled with brown rice flour for sprinkling on sticky
    dough-it won't become tough, because it contains no gluten.  (An
    advantage--at last!)
  * Tapioca flour gives more resistance and thus is chewy, whereas
    potato starch is soft.
  * Parchment paper may be used repeatedly and keeps pans clean.

Pizza Sauce:
  * You may use either tomato sauce or tomato paste.
  * It is the casein in cheese which makes it melt so beautifully.
  * Non-cheese pizza is wonderful too, and there is non-dairy
    parmesan available.

Philosophical Tips
------------------

* There is a new trend in the United States toward eating less wheat;
  we all want to make our voices heard and this trend suggests that
  perhaps this is starting to happen.  People can live very well
  without wheat.

* In dealing with food sensitivities there is almost always an
  appropriate substitute ingredient; the secret lies in knowing what
  the substitute is and how to use it.

* Families who eat at home together have better adjusted children who
  are better students; their nutrition is better.

* Family routines such as mealtimes provide a sense of predictability,
  safety, and security.

* Food has sensual/social qualities:  Look, touch, smell, hear,
  create, CELEBRATE!

* We all eat too much!  Restaurant plates have grown to 12-inch
  diameter, while at home plates are 9-10 inches.  The "serving size"
  of a muffin is 1.5 ounces, but the muffins we buy are often three
  times that size.

* One day, food sensitivities will attain the same level of attention
  as fat-free and diabetic diets.  Restaurants will accommodate our
  special dietary needs.  Government, industry, and the media will
  recognize us.

* Would you rather spend money on prescription drugs and doctor
  visits, or on good, wholesome, healthy food?