From:
Susan Pieper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Jan 1997 15:51:59 -0700

Janet in Maine said ...

>Noone understands as we celiacs do that it is no fun not being able to eat
>anything.  I think it is very important psychologically to avoid that
>deprived feeling and take the time to bring yourself something.

Actually, there are a whole bunch of people who understand how this feels.
They're called diabetics!

I have always known how to "adjust" for my diabetes, but I now fully
appreciate the fact that there is no tolerance for gluten. It is toxic to
my system.

No, the bigger problem is--why do we humans have to include food in every
so-called social occasion? We can celebrate other ways, we can enjoy being
with others doing other activities, and food just doesn't always have to be
a part of the goings-on.

Now, if I can just convince others of this!!! At times, though I'm just
glad it gives me a way to get out of all those boring banquets and
interminable potlucks, which I've always hated!

Now for Janet's suggestion--the problem with "compensating" with mixed
chocolate, sugar, pnut butter, and almonds is calories--namely fatty ones,
folks! There's really no solace in that stuff--you'll just have to exercise
it off later! (From my bitter experience in finding out that Hershey's,
etc. is gluten-free and hoping to compensate with it in some way for the
celiac diagnosis ...)

Yours for better attitudes toward food--which I haven't found yet!

Sue de LC

Susan Pieper/Las Cruces, [log in to unmask]
THE LAW OF REQUISITE VARIETY: The person who has one more alternative than
the number of obstacles s/he faces eventually will triumph. (Anon.)