From:
Angela Nelson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Angela Nelson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Jan 2007 05:12:04 -0800

Hi everyone,

  I have a 5 month old baby and I have Celiac Disease.  I searched the archives and didn't find too much about when to start feeding solids to newborns and when to feed gluten to newborns.  We started her on rice cereal about 2 weeks ago, but I didn't know if we should introduce oatmeal and then mixed cereal (which contains barley) right away or if we should wait.

  What advice or suggestions can you offer based on your own experience or those of the Celiac community on the subject of introducing solids (gluten) to newborns and when?  I believe Dr. Fasano has indicated that gluten and solid foods should be introduced between 4-6 months, so that is why we have started first with rice cereal (does not contain gluten) at 4 1/2 months, but I'm not sure what to do next.

  I will summarize.

  Thank you!
  Angie