Date:
Mon, 7 Jan 2008 12:21:26 -0600

Hi All--

I received a number of replies [20+], but only one or two addressed the
basic question I asked, which was: why or what is it about hydrolyzed wheat
that makes it acceptable for celiacs to eat? Unfortunately, McD's was the
only company I could think of that declares they use hydrolyzed wheat in
their FFs and HBs. I know that GIG determined the fries and hash browns to
be GF - I just wanted to know if hydrolyzed wheat was different than wheat
starch, for instance.

Basically, the answer is no, hydrolyzed wheat is still wheat and still
contains gluten. The issue w/McD's is that the hydrolyzed wheat is used as a
starter flavoring and contains less gluten than whoever tested it was able
to detect.
_____
<http://www.kintera.org/site/pp.asp?c=ewK0LjP7E&b=1428023>.

[The link above is a compilation of some of the information published about
McD's using hydrolyzed wheat]

Below is an explanation from one of our listmembers that pretty much summed
up the whole issue.

"Both GIG & CSA determined, on the basis of testing at U Nebraska,
discussion
with the companies involved (McD's, the manufacturer of the suspect
flavoring, etc.) that the fries are gf. Caveat--since most of the
definition of gf in this instance is based on testing, and testing
can't determine 0 ppm gluten, just below whatever threshold the test
used is sensitive to (I believe U Nebraska's lab tests for 20 ppm),
there may well be very tiny amounts of residual gluten. Not sure that
helps you in the long run, but I suspect you'll decide not to eat
them from now on."

Thanks to everyone who responded. Again, it appears to boil down to what
each of us are willing or able to tolerate in terms of ppm. That in itself
seems random to me since most foods that are labeled "gluten free" don't
also indicate parts per million.

Ayn in Alabama

*******
*******