Date:
Sat, 17 Jun 2000 12:19:26 -0500

Hi all,

This site has an extensive list of food additives.

http://www.powerup.com.au/~kkaos/alpha1.html

I also use the book (which some of you have mentioned before) called
"Consumer's Dictionary of Food Additives" by Ruth Winter (I have the older
version, but the new one was put out in August 1999) - the ISBN # is:
0609803662.

Here's a review (from Amazon.com) of the new edition:

[What am I eating? This book answers that question by
describing more than 8,000 ingredients found in foods.
The dictionary format lets you look up an ingredient
alphabetically and learn what it is, how and why it's
used, and the benefits and risks. You can decode an
ingredient from a food label--haven't you always wondered
just what "guar gum" is?--or just skim for interesting facts.
For example, the entry on "civet, absolute" explains that
this essential oil used as a flavoring is "derived from the
unctuous secretions from the receptacles between the anus
and genitalia of both the male and female civet cat." Not
very appetizing! You'll find this ingredient in raspberry,
butter, caramel, grape, and rum flavorings in beverages,
desserts, and chewing gum. This book also explains commonly
used (but poorly understood) food-label terms like "lite"
and "low fat," what counts as a serving for different food
groups, and various ways of processing food. There's a
helpful chart of food storage guidelines, and resources
(including Web sites) for people with food allergies or
sensitivities. Ruth Winter, an award-winning science writer,
is also the author of A Consumer's Dictionary of Cosmetic
Ingredients and several other books.]

Enjoy your day and SMILE.  :-)

Love, Linda contemplating never eating "absolute civet" again.  LOL!