From:
David J Walland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Jul 1997 09:42:20 +0100

A while ago, I put out query about the spraying of fresh
fruit with pure wheat protein.  I had two replies, one from
the Michael Jones in the States which was very reassuring.
He says:-

"I did the research when the story came out about four years ago.  As of
six months ago all US fruits are still ok with no gluten containing
coating.  I have no reason to believe that there has been a recent
change."

However the real fly in the ointment came from information
from Maria Heigl in the Nederlands.  She gives worrying
information that there may be fruit in Europe which is
sprayed in this way and worse, CHEESE.

Here's some relevant quotes:-

"A lot of the cheese produced in the Netherlands is being
exported and labelling of cheese sold unpacked over the
counter is not very efficient.

"Therefore it will hit people outside the Netherlands too. We are getting
a lot of support from the German and Flemish Coeliac Societies and
co-operation from the UK - and elsewhere - is much appreciated. We fear
that cheese coating will only be the beginning. I personally believe
that we should join efforts to fight against the introduction of any
gluten-layer on formerly safe foods."
and again:-

"We have heard from the European parliament that there may be apples
produced in the EU (apparently they didn't know from which
country)which  have a gluten layer. As I said, we couldn't get any more
information. From our vacations we are going to bring samples of
anything looking suspicious to have it analysed. Maybe we'll find
something."

I have taken the liberty of quoting quite fully as this is
clearly a serious problem.  I would recommend all Coeliac
Societies in Europe to put pressure on both local MEPs and
the EU directly.  Those of you on the other side of the
water could easily play a major role too.  If you can get
your politicians campaigning against EU fruit and cheese
because of this, then this will very rapidly put extreme
pressure on Europe to put it's house in order.  It will
also help to make Celiac BIG news!

Regards to all

David

David J Walland
University of Bristol Radiation Safety Officer
Tel +44 (0)117 928 8323
Fax +44 (0)117 929 1209