From:
shaialon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Dec 1998 12:26:47 +0200

Hi all listmates.

Here comes the summary of all responds to my question:  What shall I bring with
me to flights for eating if something got wrong with the GF meal order
reconfirmation.  There are two parts in this summary:

1st Part: Why shall we have a GF food parcel with us while flying?
2nd Part: What food shall we bring with us?

1st Part:

For airplane rides of any distance, definitely bring your own GF meals in
insulated containers.  Some domestic airlines do provide GF meals (usually they
are vegetarian); you must request them several weeks in advance, but I still
don't rely on them, because in many instances, they can't find the meal, or they
forgot, or whatever.

First, you absolutely must take goodie package to eat on the plane, for
insurance if for nothing else.  It has been my experience that whenever I take
my own food, the airline's GF food is quite good and I don't really need my
emergency package.  Virgin, Lufthansa and Swissair are xcellent about this.  But
when I trust in the airline and foolishly don't take anything - then INVARIABLY
the airline has misplaced my order, or I am served a so-called GF meal that
consists of chicken and pasta -wheat pasta, that is.  It is best to come
prepared, just in case.

2nd Part:

Lot of snacks
Slices of cheese just enough for the flight
Bread
Cookies
Rice crackers or sticks One package for my carry-on bag, two more in my
   suitcase.
Fruit
carrot sticks, etc. etc.
Dried fruit in a sealed, unopened bag (customs usually won't let you bring it in
   if it's open.)
Chocolate
Pop open cans of smoked salmon
Sardines
Kipper snacks or chicken
Sunflower seeds
An apple
A bottled water,
Hard-boiled eggs
Potato or corn chips
Cold cuts like pastrami or salami
A sandwich
Peanuts in small bag
Candies

Since the airlines usually serve a green salad without dressing and the chicken
"surprise" very plain, I usually take along a packet or two of salad dressing
and butter and several packets of pepper and some salt.

Don't forget to put extra food items in your suitcase for that first night in
the hotel, when you may be too tired to go out.  Telma's canned hummus and
tahini, while certainly not as good as the freshly made kind, will do well here.

Alon (from netanya in Israel)