Date:
Sun, 5 Sep 2004 21:20:35 -0700

A humble opinion piece:
        From time to time I see requests on the list for the names of celiac
savvy doctors.  I'm a registered nurse & I've seen what most medical
doctors have to offer celiacs.  Frankly, it's disappointing.  Most
medical doctors know very little about this disease & even less about the
major issues that effect our health -- nutrition & the ravages of gluten
on our bodies.  For this reason I frequently recommend naturopaths.  They
are generally better trained than MD's & DO's in nutritional issues and
the consequences of diet upon health.
        When I was first diagnosed 3 1/2 years ago, I went to see a
gastroenterologist in Burien for my celiac related GI issues.  He did a
battery of tests & ruled out all sorts of stuff, but I continued to be
seriously ill even on the GF diet.  He tried really hard & is a very kind
man, but unfortunately nothing he offered helped me in the least.  He
readily admitted that he knew very little about nutrition, food
intolerances, diet, etc. so he kindly referred me to a naturopath in
Seattle, Patrick Donovan ND.  This naturopath knew more about GI issues
than any professional I'd dealt with.  Dr. Donovan, a talented and well
trained Bastyre graduate, patiently walked me through the recovery
process which included food allergy testing, diet recommendations,
targeted supplements to improve digestion & nutritional status, etc.  His
interventions restored my health.
        In Washington state, many major insurance plans cover naturopathic
physicians.  But, even if my health insurance hadn't covered it, I would
have gladly paid "out of pocket" for his life restoring care.  (BTW, NDs
are always less expensive than MDs.)
        Please don't misunderstand me, this is not intended to bash medical
doctors.  There are MDs & DOs out there who are celaic savvy (our own
Stephen Holland, for one!), but they are generally the exception rather
than the rule.  IMHO, generally speaking, few MDs & DOs are skilled in
nutritional medicine while most NDs are.   ~Valerie in Tacoma

Get your name as your email address.