From:
Celiac Baby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 May 1998 03:12:06 -0700

In general people reported enthusiasm and confidence in a healthy long
life for them and their families.  I sense no one who reported had a
feeling of increased disease as long as they follow a strict gluten
free diet.

Many people just wrote to ask me to summarize and requested that an
expert answer this question, requesting some stats from this expert.
I do not believe any experts did, if they did they did not identify
themselves as such and mostly people were just wondering about their
future & that of their families, the same as I.

Concern was shown from those misdiagnosed and who became very ill or
old before final diagnosis.  More questions , but no answers.

Teens are a concern, they do not always follow the diet, again more
questions.

"celiacs who follow the diet & cook from scratch, because prefab food
is potentially dangerous, are living a better life that others."  This
is a statement  from one person that summarizes how most feel that
responded.

"I think some of us who have had CD for such a long time have some
damage that won't heal, or hasn't after being gf for several years."
This is a statement from one person that summarizes how people in this
situation (misdiagnosed) reported feeling.

No one reported with cancer or related disease who felt it was due to
CD.

Sorry, Just more people with questions and no concrete answers.  It
seems if we follow the diet our outlook is great, but may I also
suggest myself that we lower our sugar intake.  I was reading about
diabetes and our increased risk of this autoimmune disease at several
different CD sites.  No one reported who had this disease however.

==
[log in to unmask]    Utah