From:
Shughart <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 23 Dec 2003 13:43:39 -0600

We have gotten the results back from Prometheus laboratories and indeed we found the HLA-DQ2 gene (no surprise, really). However, the antibody tests were negative, and hence my question regarding a gluten restricted diet:
Is one piece of toast a day enough gluten consumption for the antibody testing to be meaningful? Our home has been strictly gluten free for over six years, and my concern is that the one piece of toast (outside the home) is not enough, particularly considering that over three decades ago the first 12 inches of his small intestine were removed (Crohn's disease), and that subsequent GERD/excess acid has scarred his duodenum, so I wonder if he would react to gluten but not show typical antibody levels due to his damaged and missing small intestines.
Were it me, I would of course simply forego the toast and occasional social gluten, but I think he needs more incentive than just having discovered the gene (the anemia, dry eyes (drops throughout the day, gel at bedtime, no more contact lenses), severe scalp problems and occasional "accidents" seem to pale in comparison to foregoing gluten - oh, and might I add that our son's GERD appeared on a gluten challenge and vanished with a return to the gf diet, despite the gastroenterologist's warning that he should take acid suppression meds for the rest of his life. Hence my belief that gluten can trigger GERD.).
Any suggestions? Prometheus will be attempting to address my inquiry after the new year, and I will post a summary including their comments on the subject of gluten restricted diet and antibody testing as well as expectations for antibodies from an altered intestine.
Thanks.
Hilary