Date:
Sun, 4 Jun 2000 15:21:07 -0600

Here's the summary on tuna & gluten. Thanks to all who replied.

***************

From:   [log in to unmask]

Canned tuna fish has been a challenging one for me for awhile.  Currently, I
found tongol tuna in just water and salt available in the Safeway Grocery
store chain here in the Metro Washington DC area.  I also buy the Trader
Joe's brand of tuna packed in just spring water and salt.

I found it easier to avoid the chemicals once I found two sources of tuna.

Happy hunting!

Chris

***************

From:   V. Jones [[log in to unmask]]

That's been going on awhile.

Just buy the low sodium tuna in water - It is
strictly tuna and water. I buy the white albacore
low sodium tuna.  I buy salmon packed in plain
water, too.

The tuna in spring water - that contains vegetable
oil - is not necessarily gluten free.

Vicki

***************

From:   Rick B Schroeter [[log in to unmask]]

The only tuna that I buy, just because of those additives in the others,
is Star Kist Naturally Low Sodium - Low fat. All that is in it is white
tuna in distilled water.

You're right.... all the others are adding a bunch of garbage, and I
don't know why.

Hope this helps! Christie in TX

***************

From:   Bobbie Proctor [[log in to unmask]]

It does seem to be widespread.

I've chosen not to buy any tuna with anything else added, except for water
or oil, and salt.

The vegetable broth could easily have gluten, and the tuna that has it even
smells bad to me, frankly. The soy protein should be OK, unless you're
sensitive to soy. I've also seen tuna with HVP, some kind of unspecified
vegetable protein, which I absolutely do not trust.

I haven't bothered to call the mfr; I just buy something else. If you like
the tuna, it would be worth while to call to find out.

Good luck and good health!

***************

From:   Christine Deane [[log in to unmask]]

I am intolerant of MSG and have had to avoid tuna for years. There is MSG in
the packing liquid.

Try buying tuna and baking it with a little lemon, covered on 350 for about
20 minutes. You can make a fabulous tuna salad and not worry and it goes so
far that you don't actually incur greater cost.

Good luck.

***************

I picked up 2 cans of Empress Tuna, solid white in water, on the same
day, same store, same shelf.  Read the labels when I got home.  One had
been packed in Malaysia, other in Taiwan.  Both had vegetable broth, but
only one identified the source as soy.

Annoying, to say the least.  I fed the questionable can to my husband and
then switched brands.

***************

From:   Teresa Seuss [[log in to unmask]]

Hello Kevin,
   If packed in the USA, those two ingredients in your tuna are safe.  See
http://www.chickenofthesea.com/faqs.asp  for an explanation of what the FDA
allows in the vegetable broth and what the soy protein is. And assurance
that Chicken of the Sea tuna is safe.

   If you're avoiding milk, casein is found in white tuna, but not light
tuna.

***************

From:   Beatrice [[log in to unmask]]

Hi, Kevin,

Unfortunately, all tuna fish in spring water now seems to have broth and
casein (dairy protein). I stopped eating it a couple of years ago because of
this. It used to be that tuna fish packed in oil only had the oil added, but
the last year I haven't been able to find a brand which is packed in oil
only.

If you receive an email from someone who has found one, would you mind
forwarding it to me? I believe the main reason for including the broth in
the
oil, is that the oil currently used is soybean or canola so it lacks flavor.
When it was packed in olive oil, there was lots of flavor, so nothing was
added.