From:
Valerie Wells <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Aug 2001 21:30:52 -0700

Listmates, I got some terrific responses when I posted the following:  <I
get neurological symptoms (slurred speech, mental confusion, balance &
coordination problems) from casien (milk protein), and eggs, as well as
gluten.  Am I weird or what? >  My comments to these responses are in
brackets.  ~Valerie in Tacoma, WA

---------------

... are you aware of the opioid effect of milk and wheat?   Probably
some others.  It comes on 20-30 minutes after consuming the offending
substance and lasts several hours.  Read this and see what you think --
The most common cause of  cloudiness in celiac sprue is a leaky gut due
to earlier damage from CD.  The damaged gut allows incompletely digested
proteins to be absorbed as peptides (large molecules) rather than broken
down into amino acids (small molecules).  One of the many results of
this is that casein (milk) and gluten peptides which are both almost
identical to opium are absorbed into the blood. An overwhelming
lassitude results in about a half hour after eating. If you question
that such a little bit couldn't possibly cause such a profound reaction,
remember that the normal initial medical oral dose of morphine (medical
opium) is (which lasts 4-6 hours) is 2 to 10 milligrams.  10mg is about
the same as a grain of sand.  It doesn't take much milk or bread to
supply that amount.  I found that out when my wife drooped each morning
after her breakfast of milk and toast.  She could hardly make it back to
bed.  I thought it was my dull company. But about that time a Norwegian
researcher published his research which demonstrated the morphine effect
described above.  I learned about it on this list about five years ago.
Jack Maines North Creek NY [5 years ago, I bought a bread machine.  I
would eat a large thick slice of wheat bread for breakfast, then hit the
sack till noon.  At noon, I'd eat another slice or two, the sleep till 3
or 4 PM....  I gained 10 pounds & got rashes everytime I ate ... classic
leaky gut.]

---------------

I'm okay with eggs, I eat about a doz. per week. Real dairy, milk, cheese
and whatever comes out of an udder, gets me loopy.  It also gives me acne
and causes me breast swelling and tenderness.  My cycles are much
easier without it.  --Nancy Mitchell

----------------

I think it was a combination of milk and acupuncture that improved my
cycle.

This will be an interesting summary! --Nancy Mitchell

----------------

I get mentally cloudy when I accidentally ingest gluten or MSG.  My
mother sings flat (and gets sinus headaches) when she eats eggs.

--Meredith Johnson

---------------------

I have MS too and I understand.  I believe that milk is  the fault.  It
is  poison to us.  Man is the ONLY  species on earth that drinks someone
else's milk.  Cow's milk is for cows. --Rich [Sorry, I didn't mean to
mislead anyone into thinking I have MS.  I only have MS like symptoms
from gluten & dairy.]

----------------------

Sounds like you had better switch to a better brand of booze ...  I'm
retired now but I used to work with a bunch of machinists that sounded
like alcoholics to me and if one of them looked kind of rough in the
morning I would make the Comment:  I sure feel sorry for a guy that don't
drink, don't you?  Yeah, why is that ?  A guy that doesn't drink knows
that when he gets up in the morning he ain't gonna feel no better all day
! (Dean Martin) -- Charles in Charleston, SC  [Sound advise.]

------------------------

I am overjoyed that I'm not alone in the world with these symptoms. I
get the same from gluten, dairy, and yeast foods. The symptoms are a
terrible problem for me and it took a long time to discover what the
problem is and what was wrong with me. Meanwhile my reputation has
suffered and many think I am a pretty strange lady. I have walked around
almost in "out of body" experiences, etc. for a long time--never knowing
what was wrong yet knowing that I didn't have a real diagnosable mental
disorder. [My children used to say I acted like I was drunk all the
time.  I think I was.  You should see that goofy look I have in so many
family pictures!] The fact that I have had this disease all of my life
and had to mostly discover it myself when I started using the internet a
couple of years ago is a real crime. [I too learned about this from the
internet, and I'm an RN -- that IS a crime!]  I went gluten free when I
read about it and in two weeks my life had changed. But it wasn't until
Dr. Fine diagnosed me to have one of the CD genes, to be gluten
sensitive, and to be casein sensitive,(plus two other milk proteins),
and to be yeast food sensitive, that I have been able to feel entirely
normal. The yeast was the last thing and I really think it is
significant in making me feel so weird and very significant in making me
feel normal when I don't eat it.  It is really a miracle for me to feel
"normal". My balance is still affected, my mental confusion is much
less, (although I have short term memory loss), and the extreme anxiety
I felt is gone. Part of the neurological problem for me was extreme
neuromuscular pain, actual muscle spasms all over my body. I was
diagnosed with Fibromyalgia which disappeared when I stopped eating all
those things.  For example if I would have a glass of wine (full of
yeast) my brain would be practically disabled the next day. [I wish the
GF diet was all it takes to get rid of my fibromyalgia!]  --Arline

------------------------

In the past couple of days I have also had some neuro symptoms that seem
to have flared.  I can only think of one thing that might have caused
the problem, but even that is a long shot.  I have been eating a tiny
bit of buckwheat or millet or quinoa with my meals lately -- I rinse
them to death before I cook them, and they are whole grain, not made
into meal.  Maybe it's food allergies?  I don't know.  I am so sick of
being sick!  I feel like I want to shoot myself if I eat yogurt -- just
get overcome with a wave of depression.  It's all so strange, and I
can't imagine how I'm ever going to figure this out.  It's so difficult
to function through a business day and have these symptoms happening. --
Latimer  [Believe it or not, my celiac son & I have both had reactions
from amaranth flour.  Perhaps it's contamination?  Perhaps it's allergies?]

--------------------

Perhaps you should check out to see if you don't have myasthenia gravis.
That is what your symptoms sure sound like. Do you have problems with
your eyes jumping when you read?  MG and celiac go together in many
instances as an autoimmune disorder. --Lisa

--------------------

That is probably the biggest problem.  Things that we loved and have
grown up with are coming back to haunt us.  No one wants to believe it.
Aren't we supposed to have our milk every day? This is quite a learning
experience.  I have gotten to the point where I only eat fruit and
vegetables.  What ever it takes. --Rich

--------------------

When my doctor injected me with wheat, I did not know what he was
testing me for, I got way spacey, It was as if I'd been drinking all
night long.  Talkative, feeling great, high.  Well that's what was
keeping my stomach from getting better. Well Celiac was never mentioned,
I quit eating wheat and the other allergens I tested positive for, corn,
coconut, chocolate, beef, dairy.  I took shots when I did want to eat
them and shots afterwards to help control symptoms. The shots did not
take all the effects away. On my anniversary My husband and I went and
ate battered and fried seafood, my favorite.  By the time I walked out
of the restaurant I could not walk on my own, my speech was slurred, I
was gone.  I never had any alcohol.  [Same thing happened to me last
time I ate an ice cream cone one year ago.] That was in 1996, since then
I've learned it was not just the wheat, oats and rye and all that barley
I just loved to eat whole.  I now do not ever put gluten in my body.  I
like control over my life.  [Exactly my sentiments.] Beef products
produce aching limbs for me.  Dairy makes my ears ache.  These all
produce some type and degree of flu like symptoms that can linger up to
a week.  Corn goes through my body quicker than water.  Corn syrup will
cause arthritis like symptoms.  But with the gluten I also become
vicious. My 2 celiac son's get emotional, passive to aggressive like
behavior, they are unable to cope well with conflict, change, stress, etc...

        What you eat does not just keep you body going, it either enhances your
life/lifestyle or it just keeps you going or it makes your life a living
hell.  Your choice.  It's not always easy to find the good. It's not all
in your head,  --Robin in Florida  [Profound!]

-------------------

No you are not weird I get reactions from both those you could be lactose
intolerant and allergic to eggs. --Christina

------------------

no, you're not weird. or else, we both are. It has been about a year of
being strictly GF. It used to be that when my husband hugged me he would
have to carefully set me upright or risk me stumbling backward when he
let me go. It's not that I fealt dizzy... it just threw me off balance.
The mental confusion was much more difficult to pinpoint - and, of
course, many doctors think women are mentally confused to begin with so
it was not an easy subject to bring up. The slurred speech was the most
frightening and I was finally able to connect that to eggs causing the
mechanical (swelling) problem combined with the neurological affects of
the gluten.  When I am in my own home - or " my own little world " as I
call it - I feel very lucky to have finally figured all this out. It is
when I go anywhere else and see the cross-eyed looks when I try to tell
people what I can and can't eat - that's when it makes me nuts. The
worst part is...  I wouldn't believe "me" either! Before finding out I
had all these food intollerances/allergies I was VERY sceptical of
people with "food issues." I could understand lactose intollerance and
nut allergies - but to think that food could cause neurological
problems... yeah, right!  Oh, well, payback!  [ I must admit to having
had the same attitude years ago too.  I now have to eat my judgemental
words over & over again!]

------------------

You are not alone, but we are not in the medical research.  I have had
similar problems with balance, speech and word recall (in addition to
left sided hypersensitivity, pain and weakness) Two months off gluten,
the language issues are improving.  No affect yet on other symptoms. --
Linda

---------------

 A dietitian was once addressing a large audience in Chicago. "The
material we put into our stomachs is enough to have killed most of us
sitting here, years ago. "Red meat is awful. Soft drinks erode your
stomach lining. Chinese food is loaded with MSG. Vegetables can be
disastrous, and none of us realizes the long-term harm caused by the
germs in our drinking water.'  "But there is one thing that is the most
dangerous of all and we all have, or will, eat it. Can anyone here tell
me what food it is that causes the most grief and suffering for years
after eating is?"  A 75-year-old man in the front row stood up and said,
"Wedding cake."

I pass out when I eat cornstarch.  I feel drugged.  I can't stay awake no
matter how hard I try.  I am also glutin sensitive.  I guess there are a
lot of food problems. Nelleene