From:
Betty Guthrie <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Betty Guthrie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Mar 2004 17:25:31 -0800

Here is a summary of the responses that I received regarding my inquiry
about Don Pancho Gluten Free Wraps-Tortillas:

1. Buy them! My 14 year old celiac daughter says they are the most like
flour tortillas that she has tasted.

2. They are really good and have a very similar texture as a flour
tortilla. I use them in the electric quesadilla make and they work very well.

3. I think they are really pretty good. There's a little bit of that rice
flour after-taste but they are easy to wrap, don't fall apart, and are well
worth a try! I filled mine with turkey, sprouts, roasted red peppers, and
gf mayo and it was quite good. Enjoy!

4. I havent' tried these but would like to know how to response is for
people that have tried these tortilla wraps. I personally use the oriental
rice wrappers quite a lot and love them. They last in the pkg for months. I
will look forward to your summary.

5. Yes, they are o.k. but better if fried. for sandwiches, I'd stick with
the corn tortillas. I just ordered them and don't think I'd bother ordering
them again

6. I don't think you have to order them from anyone. I buy them at all of
the major grocery stores. They are just corn tortillas. I eat two a day.
Roll up some sort of meat in them and use them for sandwiches. They taste
better than flour tortillas because they are GF.

7. I tried them...in fact I had fajitas the other night for dinner. They
are great with Mexican food, I have not tried them with other things yet.
They don't taste exactly like flour tortillas (actually I don't even
remember exactly what "real" flour tortillas taste like) but they are the
closest I have found and I am very fussy! I am very satisfied and would
definitely recommend these! I will definitely be ordering several more
packages!

8. I have tried them. I was so excited to find them and even more so when I
saw how large they were. Unfortunately, they aren't really that good. They
taste more like a corn tortilla than a flour one and they don't fold
without falling apart. I'm thinking of cutting them up and making some kind
of chips. I have made much better flour tortillas than these. Wish I could
remember where I got the recipe!

9. I tried the Don Pancho GF wraps and think they are great. I made a wrap
sandwich out of it with turkey, guacamole, bacon, salsa, and red onion. It
tasted like the real thing to me! I warmed it in the microwave for 30 secs
with a moist paper towel, and the wrap stayed nice and soft. I would highly
recommend it. The only thing I wish I could change about them is that it
would be nice if they were a little bit bigger. I haven't tried using them
any other ways, so I can only comment on the wrap.

10. I've been trying to order some to try but they've been out of stock!
THe guy at the GF Mall said they should have some in next week, and
shouldn't run out again! By the way, I bought two loaves of the Sterk's
Bakery white bread...it's terrific! I just bought FOUR MORE loaves! and
finally;

10. I was so excited to see these, but I was quite disappointed in them. We
made fajitas, and the wraps--even though they'd been heated--simply fell
apart. They were also too sweet; they just didn't have that nice floury
taste I longed for. For us, they're not a repeat item.

I found this recipe on the Delphi forum. It comes from the Denver support
group, and the tortillas it makes are so good that my non-celiac family
prefers them over the flour tortillas from stores:

1/4 cup tapioca flour
1/4 cup potato starch
1/4 cup white rice flour
1/4 cup brown rice flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons xanthan gum
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 1/2 tablespoons oil
1/2 cup water, more as needed

1. Mix dry ingredients.2. Add water and oil.3. Let dough rest 10 minutes.4.
Divide into 8 balls.5. Roll into circles.6. Cook in skillet on medium high
heat until bubbles form on top.7. Flip and cook other side until peaks are
browned.8. Stack under a moistened towel until all are done.

Do you Yahoo!?