From:
spaceneedleview <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
spaceneedleview <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Apr 2004 07:18:16 -0700

TOMATO & ROSEMARY GF BREADS

Several people suggested using sundried tomatoes instead of canned, or using tomato juice for the liquid in a recipe. One person suggested that I look up recipesource.com for recipes to adapt to GF. Since I have never been a baker beyond cookies and cornbread, I am afraid to try to do that on my own. I can't really afford to waste ingredients. One person suggested that I use my failed attempts for breadcrumbs. Two people would like to know if I have any luck, because they would also like tomato bread recipes.

Another person suggested that I use Gluten Free Pantry regular bread mix, and add the rosemary and chopped sundried tomatoes.

Another person suggested that I try adding the flavors to polenta.

One person said their mother used to make Tomato Soup Cake, a recipe that goes back to colonial times.  You start with a basic spice cake recipe [you could use a pumpkin bread] and just sub tomatoes or tomato soup.

One person uses about 1/3 cup of juice for a large loaf of bread, but has never tried it with GF breads.

Another had the idea that cornbread recipes might be easy to make tomatoey. I feel pretty confident in tinkering with the cornbread recipes on my own but am completely clueless about the quick breads and yeast breads. I have included a number of recipes, both non-GF and GF, in hopes that some of you might be able to suggest which recipes and which substitutions would be most likely to be successful as a nice big sandwich loaf. I have placed my initial ideas in brackets. I really miss the taste of artisan breads and I really miss sandwiches. The rice breads you can buy at the store are awfully expensive, and the loaves are so small that the sandwich fillings hang out the sides.

P.S. I also need to substitute where a recipe calls for cow's milk/cheese or soy.

To be continued...