From:
Chris Gralapp <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Chris Gralapp <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 May 2002 16:50:37 -0700

Dear Celiac list,

At risk of crowing a little, I wanted to report that I have healed my gut!
in September of 2000, I had my first biopsy, after being GF for nine months.
I thought that surely I would have only minimal damage to my mucosa, and was
devastated to learn that I had severe villous blunting.  I was terribly
worried that I would never  reclaim my guts, and wondered why I should work
so hard at remaining GF, if healing was so elusive.

Well, I redoubled my efforts, and with the help of this list, and all of the
wonderful sage advice that has come to me, I slogged on.  I just got the
results from my second biopsy, and I have no inflammation, and very nearly
normal mucosa.  I am delighted with this outcome, and even though it took
several years officially, it is a terrific psychological boost.  I have felt
very well for a long time, but the validation of the medical results made a
huge difference to my outlook on my condition.

This a message to all of you who are newly diagnosed, or are in the midst of
your climb back to good health:  Hang in there!  It will happen for you,
too.  Be patient and persistant, and never lose sight of the reward.

I must say that I feel really great almost all of the time (perimenopausal
madness aside), and I know that I am eating far better than I ever have in
my life.  I am an optimist, which helps a lot to carry me along.  I am
exercising regularly, and meditating often to keep stress at bay. I eat out
several times a week with no problems at all.

Your good hard work will pay off for you, too--and don't feel discouraged!

Thanks, and best to all,

Chris

Chris Gralapp, MA, CMI
Medical and Scientific Illustration