From:
Debra Berke <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 12 Jan 2008 11:14:14 EST

Thanks to those who responded. Here are the responses:

1. I do eat their products, actually. They  are fabulous. I have reactions to
gluten that I can feel within 30 minutes of  exposure and I have never had a
reaction to Sahale snacks.

2. If they don't make put wheat flour or any  other gluten flour in their
products, it would not be contaminating their other  products. It would not be
leaving coatings on  anything.
3. I would -- the peanut issue can cause  death, so that "allergen sweep" is
probably very  thorough.
4. My reaction to the email is that they are  reasonable and honest.  I like
the fact that they do a cleansing of  the equipment after the product
containing gluten, to eliminate the peanuts  that are also in the same products.
Peanuts are such a powerful  allergen... if they are making the lines peanut
free, I am confident they  are gluten free.

5. I'd eat them if only they weren't so  expensive. Sounds like the cleaning
should be more than sufficient to clean out  the minimal trace of wheat
present.
6. Wow!  Do these look good!!! In fact,  they look so good I might personally
try them.  However, were I to do that,  I might see if they would be kind
enough to tell me which product they run  immediately following the one with soy
sauce in it.  And I would probably  not buy that product, but figure the
others have the possibility of being safer.  I had long-time problems with products
from Frito Lay until I understood this  concept.
7. I  would, they are pretty much saying the same thing every mainstream
company  says.
8. I am highly sensitive to  glutens and I DO occasionally eat foods
processed in plants or on machinery  which processes other gluten foods.  I do not
usually eat "gf" french  fries, for instance, cooked in dedicated fryers at
restaurants, this is how  sensitive I am (what I am saying here is, I feel french
fries from a  dedicated fryer are less safe.  I could explain this--it has to
do  with them filtering the oil at the end of the day and then reusing it,
often  contaminating it during filtering or getting it confused with the
"undedicated"  oil.)  I am also a person who can react almost immediately to glutens,
which means I do not often have an extremely bad reaction to glutens  anymore,
usually, because I do not have to eat much to react and  have learned what
reactions to look for.
What I have found is, it just depends on the  food and the processing plant
you are talking about, as to how safe it is to eat  food processed on possibly
contaminated equipment.  I react to almost all  chicken broths, for
instance--Health Valley, Pacific Foods (not sure if that is  the correct name--the one
they sell in a box in the healthfood stores)....   Health Valley broth is like
playing roulette--sometimes fine, sometimes  not.  Pacific I found I reacted
to consistently over 3 times (didn't try  more than that.)  I can't usually eat
any cereals which are not made  in a dedicated facility.  ("Roulette" playing
again--sometimes is  ok, but usually not, esp. at the bottom of the box or
bag.)
So,  that said, it probably depends on how sensitive you are, too.  Many here
 eat at restaurants regularly and eat fries at restaurants regularly.  If
you can tolerate these, you will probably not have a problem  with contamination
from most processing equipment, or you will possibly  only occasionally react
or react to only certain brands.  If you are a  "super-reactor" (but not a
"quick super-reactor", like I am), it is probably  best to use food from
dedicated  equipment.