From:
Kate Ozello <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kate Ozello <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Jun 2016 11:03:11 -0400

Thank you to all who responded - my apologies for the delay of the summary:

I lived in Gettysburg for 14 years and ran a large GF support group
there. Here are a couple suggestions:

1. Mom's Coffee Pot is open for breakfast or coffee until 11 AM. Mary's
husband has celiac disease and so she is very knowledgeable about the GF
diet, cross contamination, etc. She makes fabulous GF Belgian waffles on
Saturdays, breads, and other dessert treats. (717) 398-2736 · 65 W
Middle St Gettysburg, PA 17325. You may want to call before going as
occasionally they go away on vacation. Her building is a true historic
one, and lots of local color meet there for coffee and conversation.
2. DeLiso's Italian restaurant also is quite knowledgeable and
accommodating as CD runs in their family. They offer GF pastas dishes
(ravioli! penne pasta!), subs and GF pizzas. The pizza makers dust their
marble counter with rice flour so there is no contamination with wheat
in the restaurant.
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g60798-d405672-Reviews-Deliso_Pizza-Gettysburg_Pennsylvania.html

3. Otherwise you need to use restaurants with a chef, such as The Dobbin
House on Steinhwher Avenue, or The Farnsworth House on Baltimore Street,
both near the center of town.
4. Just outside of Gettysburg, in Emmitsburg, MD - if you should
approach the area via RT 116  - is the Carriage House. They are well
aware of the GF diet and can accommodate us.
5. Giant grocery store has a nice salad bar for quick meals.
6. A delightful ice cream shop on Baltimore street (directly across from
the Farnsworth House) is Mr. G's, a very popular place with the locals
as well as tourists. The historic building is awesome. The flavors are
many and vary weekly. Senior staff and owner (likely not the teen
helpers) are aware of GF issues and will show you their ingredient list.
7. Right on the Square in town and connected to the Best Western Hotel
there, is One Lincoln restaurant.  They have a few GF items on their
menu. http://www.hotelgettysburg.com/dining-en.html

***************************************

Gettysburg: Mr. G’s ice cream is a must-stop…it is also apparently
located in the most haunted of buildings in Gettysburg…an interesting
history!

***************************************

We have found few places take cross contact very seriously.  That being said, my celiac daughter has had very good experiences with both of the below places, which do understand cross contact.  Check hours before you go but we consider both of these to be safe places to eat in Gettysburg.

Good luck!

Kim in PA

Mom's Coffee Pot
65 W Middle St
Gettysburg, PA
717-398-2736

AND

Deliso Pizza
829 Biglerville RD
Gettysburg, PA
717-398-2736

*************************

Hi last year my family went to Gettysburg and Hershey park. My teens and
I have Celiac disease but my husband eats gluten-free at home and
restaurants. At Hershey park we had lunch and dinner at the all gf place
we had chicken sandwiches, Pizza, and pretzel bites. It was nice it was
all gf no worries and food was good. First time I had pretzel bites hot
that I didn't make myself. We are going again this summer.

Gettysburg we ate at Deliso we had gf cheesesteaks and hoagie. Great no
issues. Mom's coffee pot we had gf breakfast sandwichs great no issues.
New Oxford Coffee company we had breakfast and they have gf baked goods
we had gf muffins. Great no issues. Aroogas we had wings, ribs,
hamburger. I thought it was a little pricey but if you love wings and
ribs like my family I would definitely go again they had lots of choices.

Went to Hershey Park a few years back.
Wife and kids are all Celiac.
The restaurants in the hotel on the park property were very accommodating.
Sorry I don't remember the hotel's name.
One even had GF pancakes with Choc chips for breakfast.

We stayed in Hershey last year and visited The Mill
http://themillinhershey.com/ for dinner.  I found it on one of the
gluten free locator apps.  It was a fabulous meal.  There were a few GF
entrees and a GF dessert. The selection wasn't huge but the meal was
fantastic.

  I’d HIGHLY recommend Piazza Sorrento when you are in Hershey. We eat
there every time we are in town, and frankly, it’s almost worth going
out of your way to eat there if traveling nearby. Although they are not
100% dedicated GF, they have a huge amount of GF selections and are very
careful in the preparation.

We have many reviews for this restaurant — and some others — on our
website, GlutenFreeTravelSite ( http://glutenfreetravelsite.com
<http://glutenfreetravelsite.com/> ). Simply go to our Search/Mapping
page ( http://glutenfreetravelsite.com/maps/map-locator.php ) and enter
Hershey into the Search Box. You'll get a list of restaurants that have
been reviewed. *Click on any restaurant to see it highlighted on the map
and to link to the user-submitted review. *
*
*
*/We also have an APP -- free and available for either iPhone or Android
-- called DINE GLUTEN FREE. It enables you to access the reviews and
other helpful information on our site when you're on-the-go. Here's a
link to a page on our site with more information: /*
*/
/*
*/http://glutenfreetravelsite.com/mobileresources.php/
*
Please let me know if you have any questions. And please "pay it
forward" and share any other GF-friendly places you find  -- where you
live or wherever you travel -- by submitting reviews to our site (
http://glutenfreetravelsite.com/submit.php ). It will benefit the
thousands of other people searching our site for guidance on safe GF
dining.
I have heard that the Chocolate Avenue Grill in Hershey has gluten free
items marked on their menu but don't know about cross-contamination.
You may want to check with them and consider it.

I went to Hershey Park last summer with my family.  Had a nice
experience with their allergy foods, just be sure to know where they are
and plan accordingly (we spent a lot of time walking around to find me
food).  I even bought a meal plan for one of my meals in order to get
the drink cup so I could stay hydrated. They didn’t always keep staff at
their allergy windows, so sometimes I had to wait quite a while to get
something, but it wasn’t bad.  I also tried the pretzel nuggets that one
of the allergy vendors sold and they were pretty good, although if I
remember correctly very salty.  More along the lines of the frozen
pretzels they sell in the grocery stores than Philadelphia pretzels, but
still dough and salt, and that was enough to make me happy.  On that
trip we stayed somewhere cheap and I can’t remember breakfast, which
means I most likely picked around a hotel continental (I don’t eat eggs
because I dislike them).  I usually pack cereal just to round out the meal.

A few years ago we stayed at the Hershey Hotel.  Their dining room was
extremely accommodating to me and the breakfast I had there was
wonderful.  They made me my own gluten free waffles with chocolate chips.

In Hershey AVOID the Best Western (damp, mold in rooms, soggy carpet in
hallway, poor service at the desk).

At the amusement park they do a good job with GF meals. Email them ahead
of time and get the list of options.

Piazza Sorrento (http://www.piazzasorrento.com) does an EXCELLENT job
with gluten-free meals.

We have eaten many times with our family member who has celiac at Piazza Sorrento in Hershey - family style Italian.  Very good gf pasta.  We have also been able to find gluten free options in the park - salads, gf pizza, and a quesadilla!

*******
*******