From:
Lyndie Nguyen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Jun 1998 12:40:31 EDT

Dear listies,
I wrote with my first post a few days ago aobut "why shampoos and soaps".
Now I'ld like to summarize the results for you.

There is no question in my mind that this is a very big gray area for
celiacs. And it seems that most celiacs choose to air on the side of
caution where soaps are concerned.

Many celiacs wrote me back discribing rashes, blisters, and other such
reactions from what they believed to be soaps. Many  refered to the
patches used by doctors to help a patient control nicotine cravings. As a
means of convincing me that it could be taken in through the skin that
way and into the blood.

Others wrote back and said that they use normal soaps with no reactions.
And many said that they never had a reaction but chose to eleminate soaps
and stuff, because they feared that at some time they might develop a
reaction.

Another listie responded by saying they had posted a simular question a
while ago and got expert advice back from a subscribing listie. And that
according to them that topically applied items should not be a problem
since they are not ingested. That gluten must be absorbed through the gut
to cause a reaction. This is even true with people with DH. DH is still a
result of gluten having been digested.

Yet another listie wrote back pointing out  that the walls of our houses
contain gluten and all of us still have to live some where.
Most of you agreed that beings that my daughter is so young, I should air
on the side of caution.

I guess my conclusion is that soaps and the like may indeed be able to
penetrate the skin and may even be able to go into the bloodstream, but
in the very definition of CD it is the digested gluten that poses the
threat. We are not going to be able to eleminate all gluten from around
us. Our very walls and yes even the air we breathe contains some gluten.
Peoples reactions to the soaps could be the results of other allergies
brought on by CD and DH. Not to mention one's own fear of becoming ill.
Additional allergies to things like milk and eggs are very common in
celiacs. Still it is a decision you must make for yourself. As for my
daughter I'm going to see how it goes and use some caution, but not panic
if I end up using something containing gluten. I will however be extra
cautious about her toothpaste. Since she may indeed swallow that.

Thanks for all of your responses and I hope I have not offended anyone.

Lyndie
Spokane,WA