From:
"Darla E Straka, Illustrator (Phy Sci), Albuquerque, NM"
Date:
Wed, 26 Feb 1997 14:53:26 -0700

I obtained a list of gluten-free products from a dietician with the
University of Iowa Hospital.  That list indicated that Heinz Catsup
was GF but if you read the list of ingredients it says it contains
distilled vinegar.  Has anyone out there verified with a manufacturer
whether any catsups or mustards are GF?  I was also told that French's
yellow mustard was GF.  The problem with getting a list of foods from
the midwest means that a lot of products listed as being GF are not
available to people living in the southwest.  That product list said
that Gebney's dill pickles were GF.  Maybe you can get Gebney brand
in the midwest but not in New Mexico.  Because of this glitch in our
being able to communicate with each other about what is GF, etc. I
would like to suggest that everytime a food question is asked or
answered that the poster provide the area where they reside.  A few
weeks back someone indicated that White House applesauce is GF.  I
can't buy White House brand here in NM.  Does anyone know if Cracker
Jacks are GF?  Also, a microwave popcorn?  Can you safely eat movie
theatre popcorn?

Brain fog questions???  I had a follow-up appt. with my GI Dr. yesterday.
I asked him if the mental confusion/short-term memory loss would improve
once the regeneration of the damaged villi is improved.  He wanted to
know where I had heard about mental symptoms being related to celiac
sprue.  He denied any kind of relationship between the two.  I told
him I had sought help from my Dr. because I thought I had Adult Attention
Deficit Disorder or Alzheimers long before the severe physical symptoms
of CD manifested themselves.  He refused to acknowledge that there was
any connection.  I told him I had read a lot of information about the
connection between the two.  Does anyone out there know if the brain
fog will improve once you are GF or is this a permanent state?  I hope
not.  I almost burned the house down the other night boiling some eggs
that I forgot I had put on the stove.

Darla
in Albuquerque, NM, USA