From:
Leigh Carpenter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 May 1995 15:54:35 +1000

John,
   I am an non-biopsy proven celiac trying to live gluten-free in
   Australia. Maybe things are diffrent over here but most Chinese
   restaraunts are MSG free and advertise this. However we do eat
   in one which has MSG and I simply ask them not to use it in any
   of our dishes. MSG produces an immediate and nasty effect in me
   not like gluten which is usually delayed. So my reaction is probaly
   an allergy and not celiac reaction. Anyway I think if you know a
   good restaraunt you should be able to specify no MSG and just like
   all the other foods you buy from shops read the labels and avoid
   the things you can't have. Enjoy your rice.

> Has anyone devised a strategy for ordering a GF meal at a Chinese
> restaruant?  Does MSG pose a risk to celiacs?

 Regards,
 Leigh