From:
Cindy Fisher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Jul 1998 07:32:02 -0500

Hi all.  I love these lively discussions!  To the lady with the
parasites and symptoms abating with her gluten intolerance - what did
the lab say?  What are the names of these mystery parasites?  I'd really
love to know because that would lend some credibility to your story, and
really clear things up for me.  I was shown a book about the parasite
cause of disease, tried to find more info on it in traditional medicine
and came up with nothing.  Please, please, please, if you have
laboratory confirmation of the name of the parasites, let us know!

To the rest of the respondents and to the first poster I find it
interesting how polar this discussion has become, like there is only one
way - black and white on both sides.  What if it is a continium and
there is a place in medicine for naturopathy and allopathy?  I'm a
pharmacist and I truly believe that natural means of maintaining health
and recovering health is the way to go if possible before resorting to
dangerous drugs (the basis of traditional western medicine).  If one
chooses to depend on the western medical profession for their health,
many times they will end up having to resort to dangerous drugs,
chemicals to alter what their body cannot do on it's on.  Why in the
west do we believe we know it all?  The majority of humans on the planet
use natural means of attaining and maintaining health and in many cases
have a lower infant mortality rate than here in the USA.  I hope people
will one day allow tolerance for differences in belief systems to allow
for growth in our knowledge base in medicine.  I have several herbal
remedies in my medicine cabinet that work better for certain things like
mouth ulcers and bug bites and immune strengthening than anything Merck,
Pfizer, or any of the other US manufactures have come up with.

Of course there is a place for allopathy, and it is certainly
appropriate to use the dangerous drugs.  But drug companies will never
pay for development and research for plants because they cannot be
patented.  So anectdotal evidence is important for those of use who use
plants in our system of healing and health.  If I had listened to my
doctors (and I have seen a slew of them), I'd be on librax and pepcid
and lomotil and seeing a psychiatrist and probably be on several
psychotropics as well.  As a result of tending to myself, experimenting
with what works for me, and adjusting my lifestyle accordingly, I have
acheived really good health and I am not taking any drugs requiring a
prescription at all (knock on wood)!  Peace to all, and thanks for the
interesting discussion.

Cindy in Texas, USA