From:
Dick Landis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dick Landis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Apr 2005 17:20:34 -0500

Several people requested that I share the recipes for the salad dressings
that I recieved. Here they are. There will be at least 2 parts.
http://www.thatsmyhome.com/healthy/weight-watchers-salad-recipes/ranch-
dressing-2.htm
 go to www.google and type in ranch dressing recipes or GF ranch dressing
recipes or salad dressings, etc.

We make our own mayonnaise using one of those egg products sold
by the Weis supermarket chain (Eggbeater type stuff but purer) because
it is pasteurized, then make mayo in the blender with olive oil, sugar &
lemon to avoid the soy in commercial mayo, then we mix it with Muir Glen
ketchup to make 1000K island dress.  If you ever make mayo, squeeze a
vitamin E that is non-soy into the mayo and it will jell up better. You
might be able to do something similar with buttermilk for ranch.

Homemade Ranch Dressing:
1/2 c. mayo
1/2 c. buttermilk
1/2 tsp. salt
pepper to taste
1 clove garlic, crushed or finely chopped (or more, to taste)
1 tsp. grated onion (or to taste)
1/8 tsp. xanthan gum (opt.)
Mix all ingredients together, or whizz in blender for smoothest texture.
Let sit in refrig. to thicken up.  Recipe is very forgiving -- after you
make it once or twice by measuring, you can just scoop/dump/approximate.
For variety, you can add bleu cheese, parmesan cheese, chopped dill
pickle, or dill weed.
Have you ever visited the site "Top Secret Recipes?"  They have some
fabulous recipes that attempt to recreate brand and restaurant foods.
Years ago I found a Hidden Valley Ranch dressing recipe here and I think
you'd probably have to go buy a recipe book to find it now--it tasted
magnificent. You use mayonnaise, a little black pepper, garlic salt,
buttermilk, garlic--I can't think of the other ingredients, but I often
add my own favorite spices like thyme and a dab of paprika. I add milk to
further the dressing and reduce my calories. Blend it all in the blender.
It is often best after it sits in the fridge for a day--the spices and
flavors really mingle.

SALAD DRESSING
3 cups buttermilk  (or use 1 cup sour cream      2 tsp. onion salt
 and 2 cups buttermilk)        1 tsp. MSG
1 qt. real mayonnaise                                        1/2 tsp.
garlic
2 tsp. parsley flakes                                          1/2 tsp.
black pepper
Combine all ingredients and mix with a mixer.  (Do not use a blender).
Makes 2 qts. of dressing that will keep 3 months in refrigerator.  May
also be used as sour cream on baked potatoes or for a dip
Here are some links to some of their other dressings:
http://www.topsecretrecipes.com/cgi-bin/search.asp?andor=or&search=ranch
+dressing

Ranch Dressing (gluten and corn free)

Makes about 2 cups

1-cup buttermilk
1-cup mayonnaise
3/4-teaspoon salt
1/2-teaspoon onion powder
1/4-teaspoon garlic powder (this is the powdery stuff, not the granules,
but I bet you could use the granules as well)
1 tablespoon dried parsley
1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2-teaspoon cider vinegar
Pepper to taste
In a bowl, whisk the mayo and the buttermilk together until smooth. Add
the remaining ingredients, crushing the herbs in your hands before adding,
and mix well. Season with pepper and additional salt to taste.
Refrigerate for a couple of hours to let the flavors blend.
You can make a dip with the same seasonings--just use sour cream instead
of the buttermilk in the original recipe.
If you're *really* organized, you can make up little baggies of just the
dry ingredients ahead of time and tape the recipe to the bag...then all
you have to do is measure out the mayo, buttermilk, and vinegar.
To use fresh herbs instead, mince the herbs finely, and use 3 times as
much (e.g. 3 tablespoons fresh parsley, 1-1/2 teaspoons fresh marjoram and
thyme). I can't wait to try this recipe with other fresh herbs as well--
can you imagine this with a tablespoon or so of fresh basil added?