From:
Yehudit Massouda <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Yehudit Massouda <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Jun 2002 14:49:15 -0500

I am trying to figure out if the plain Sour Supreme (tofutti's sour creme)
is gluten free. On their website they state:

Even though we do not add any gluten directly in our mixes, we usually
do not certify any of our products as being gluten free because of the
manner in which some of the flavors we use may be processed.
Vanilla, in particular, is typically distilled with grain alcohol. Although it
is cooked off during the distillation process, it could still leave some
trace amounts of gluten.... (I am of those that still do not yet feel
comfortable with distilled grain)

Our Better Than Cream Cheese and Sour Supreme also have no
gluten added, although, once again, alcohol could be used in the
manufacture of the flavors.....

In most cases, those individuals are not concerned about the flavor
issue since at worst it would be only trace amounts of gluten and their
particular condition permits them to use the product, since they are
more severely dairy intolerant.

I am unsure if there is any 'flavor' in the plain kind, and if I should not
use this product or what.

The plain contains the ingredients:  Water, partially hydrogenated
soybean oil, isolated soy protein, maltodextrin, tofu, nondairy lactic
acid, cellulose, locust bean, guar and carrageenan gums, sugar, salt,
vegetable mono and diglycerides, potassium sorbate (added as a
preservative).

The flavored ones (in my opinion) are guacamole, salsa, and cherries
n' berries.

Also, if you could tell me if you use tofutti products and which ones.

Thanks.
Yehudit in MA