From:
"Kavanagh, Colleen" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Feb 1997 14:46:53 -0500

Respectively, I  strongly disagree with the lobbyist who gave the advice
to send letters to The Washington Post telling them that we think
Clinton has a disease or allergy (CD or wheat).  I am a lobbyist in DC
also.

It is very serious to alert the news media that the president may have a
disease.  The health of the president is a very sensitive issue.
Clinton is especially sensitive to it.  Unlike other presidents, he only
releases a general report on his health after his check-ups.  Other
presidents released their entire record.  He has been asked to release
his record but refused (he is not obligated to do so in any way).

The president is probably one of the most medically well-cared for
people in the country.  Though I know (I am CD, misdiagnosed for 7
years) that CD is very hard to diagnose, I have little doubt he would
have been tested for it if he had the symptoms.

I may have missed further detail and clarification, but I think the
listserv is taking a dangerous, though well-meaning, leap assuming that
Clinton may have CD or a wheat allergy.  Or that if he does, he hasn't
already been diagnosed with it.  He has acknowledged having severe
allergy problems which, from what I know of his symptoms discussed on
this list, could be the cause of his symptoms.

Finally, I also handle media in my government relations position.  I
seriously doubt that the Washington Post would run our letters or write
a story.  I'd rather see our efforts go to something more productive.

If we have enough information to base this on, and if improving
president's health is our concern, I suggest that one of the national CD
groups send a letter (fax and mail) to his physicians and follow up with
a phone call to make sure they received it.  I believe that he receives
his care from the same Bethesda, MD military hospital where members of
Congress are treated.  A lexis/nexis search would produce a number of
articles with the name of the facility from his last check-up.  I think
this would be the most respectful, professional, and appropriate way to
handle the situation.

I don't want to produce a lot of reply email messages because I know
we're all very busy, but I hope this information is helpful.  It is
based on many successful and unsuccessful experiences in trying to get
messages to Clinton and Capitol Hill.