From:
Rebecca Markle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 May 1999 08:08:47 -0500

Earlier this year there was discussion about vasopressin and celiacs.
Additionally, I suffered from an eye exam, in which a vasodilator was
used.  I had such a reaction to the vasodilator that  I just crawled
into bed and feverishly tried to avoid being conscious...it was one of
those headache.  Never again, I vowed.

Here is a site that describes what hormones are secreted from the
pancreas.  It's not a four-star site, but it works for me:
http://endocrineweb.com/pancreas.html  Scroll on down to VIP (Vasoactive
intestinal peptide).  Now, my beef with this site is that it doesn't
seem to think that a deficiency of VIP harms, but our symptoms at
migraine time seem to be the opposite of too much VIP:  We bloat up,
retain water, develop constipation, and head-splitting migraines.
Noticing that VIP regulates water levels, the next time I felt that
bloat coming on, I decided to give my pancreas a jolt.  I had one of
those little packets of salt in my desk....I poured out the contents
into my hand, tossed it to the back of my throat, gulped down some
water, and sneered too my pancreas, "Here! Regulate this!!!"
Surprisingly, it worked.  Within minutes, that bloated feeling was gone,
my stomach rumbled, and my head cleared up.  I more or less kick-started
the secretion of enough VIP.  I think it works because both the
intestines and blood vessels are comprised of smooth muscle...what works
on one, works on the other.  (If I remember correctly)

I don't recommend doing this often, but it has made me rethink the role
of salt in my diet.  I probably does stimulate the gastric juices.  And
since we celiacs don't eat a lot of processed food, we may not get the
same amount of salt in our diet as other people.  But it seems to me
that it's a player in regulating bloat, though it's just a piece of the
puzzle.

Bec

Bec