From:
Mary Courtney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Oct 1995 19:25:44 -0700

A smoothie or soy shake is a handy way to take powdered vitamins or other
powdered supplements. (No, I haven't tried sneaking rice bran in them.)
 Whether as an in-between meal supplement or as a quick meal substitute,
you might want to use the following methods to add a serving of EGG BEATERS
to your fun drinks. (I hope Karen Davis will tell us more about her cooked
rice beverages).

Simplest: With a tall glass with a lid, or with a canning jar and lid, fill
halfway with juice or a combination of juices, add prescribed amount of
supplement, close lid and shake vigorously. (Powder will mix into a drink
by shaking, but will often stick to the spoon if you try to stir.)

CAROB SOY SHAKE: (a lactose-free chocolate substitute) After shopping for
gluten-free soy milk (or the new rice-soy milk) and pure carob powder, mix
them in a blender at approx. 1 level TBSP carob to 8 oz. (1 cup) of soy
milk with a teaspoon of your preferred sweetener. The addition of a serving
of EGG BEATERS thickens it and mellows the carob flavor. I also add a
sliced banana to the blender. (I drink half of this thick treat before
adding my vitamin powder and shaking it, but that's probably not
recommended if you're trying to get supplements into a kid.)  :)

FRUIT SMOOTHIE: With 8 oz. of apple juice or orange juice in the blender,
add a sliced banana and powdered supplement. For a change, I've also been
adding a tablespoon of raspberry/strawberry jam. For weight gain, I use
about one egg's worth of EGG BEATERS. For an Orange Julius style drink, I
only use Orange Juice with two eggs' worth.

TIP for aging bananas: When you have more ripe bananas than banana-eaters,
peel them, break them in half, and put them in a freezer bag in the
freezer. They are easy to add to the blender (after a moment of partial
thawing and, if you like, slicing) for making smoothies, as well as a
banana frozen dessert (add lemon juice, orange juice or Vit C crystals).

Self-Help Notes: (not medical advice)
- Raw eggs are not recommended because of the chance of salmonella. Use egg
substitutes in drinks.
- Note when you're shopping that some egg substitutes contain lactose.
- Some persons may find Carob constipating.
- I've recently been advised that raspberries and strawberries (and other
fruits with small seeds, like the old standby: prunes) can prevent
constipation. See following post.

Best wishes,
Mary

Los Angeles