From:
Steigelman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Steigelman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Mar 2002 21:09:33 +0000

Dear Listies,
the following is a letter I am prepared to send to Science News.  This
letter needs to go out not only to the editor of the magazine, but also to
ice cream manufactureres across north America.

Note these experiments are being conducted in Canada.
Chris

Editor, Science News
1719 N Street N.W.
Washington, DC 20036

Regarding: Wheat protein smooths ice cream (March 2, 2002 Vol. 161 page 142)

What horror is our scientific community bringing upon us? Wheat protein,
yields a product intolerable to AT LEAST 1 of every 200 Americans! These
Americans are people who suffer from celiac disease cannot tolerate any
gluten in their diets. If the ice cream industry is indeed interested in
going forth with this new process of adding wheat protein to the ice cream
recipes in order to prevent "ice crystals from grow(ing) large enough for
the mouth to feel" by "using proteins extracted from winter wheat to keep
ice cream's crystals in check", I have three suggestions:
1. DON'T DO IT!
2. If ice cream manufacturers go forth anyway, be advised that a HUGE number
of your patrons will no longer be able to buy the product ... that there
will be negative economic impact for this 'improvement'.
3. LABEL your product with this additive. Be advised that lack of
appropriate labeling will yield angry and VERY SICK customers.

Sincerely yours,