From:
Diane Hosek <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Diane Hosek <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Jan 2007 11:31:59 -0500

I have wondered about the amount of gluten in wheat products too and have
worked out this estimate  (I worked pretty hard on this, but if anyone sees
a flaw let me know):

An average slice of white wheat bread contains 2.25 grams of protein

About 75% of that protein is gluten

So there are 1700 milligrams of gluten per slice

If you divided that piece of white bread into 1700 pieces (41x41), then one
of the pieces would contain about 1 mg gluten.  That is, one crumb
could contain about 1 mg gluten

This amount will vary by product, because sturdy doughs such as pizza
contain more gluten and soft products such as cake contain less.

50mg/1700 mg = .0294, so 3% of the slice of white bread would equal about 50
mg. gluten

 -----------------

Also, I have a formula for the amount of milligrams of gluten in GF
products.

Take the ppm of the product times the number of grams of the food that are
eaten, and divide by 1000 to get the number of milligrams.

So, if you have a 30g slice of GF bread contaminated at 20 ppm, then the
number of milligrams of gluten in that slice is:

20x30/1000 = 0.6 mg

6 slices in a day would be 3.6 mg gluten

- Diane Hosek

*******
*******