From:
Medresearch <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Medresearch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Apr 2006 23:16:01 -0400

Thank you to everyone who replied to my concerns about our daughter
experiencing

rectal blood.

She went back to the beginning Specific Carbohydrate Diet (soup, cooked
fruit,

24hour yogurt-we made it with goatmilk, homemade gelatin) and in 10 days she

is blood free.  She tolerates the goatmilk yogurt but did not tolerate cow.

The trip to the gastro ruled out hemorrhoids or a fissure close to the exit,
but that was it.

They decided she had an irritation from diarrhea and didn't check any
further, gave

me a speech about fiber (she already eats plenty of it) and suggested a Rx
laxative

which I am not going to use because she has intermittent diarrhea.

But in the meantime a woman at church and a neighborhood family have
developed

all of the same problems our daughter had (fever, gut pain, diarrhea,
respiratory infection)

but getting blood with vomiting instead of the other direction.  Our family
doc says

you can get gastric bleeding with adenovirus which is 'around' so maybe it
is partly

an infection issue.

In any case our daughter is a lot better, but we are watching her carefully,
and I am

going to get a 2nd opinion from a gastro whose name I got from the SCD
website.

Paula in Pa.

Here is a summary:

===============================

You might also want to make sure she's not anemic.

===============================

Several people said if it is bright red on tissue or outside of

a movement it is probably rectal from, but older/dark/tar like

blood comes from higher up in the digestive tract.

They usually said it seems to be associated with constipation.

===============================

One recommended  daily use of metamucil or benefiber.

===============================

I get blood when I am constipated, even a little.  I sometimes have had

mucus when I ate too much dairy or had a cold, etc.  Sounds normal,

but if she continues to have this after getting constipation worked out,

then I'd check with a doc.

Somethings she can take for constipation:  epsom salts in water

(about 1/2 teasp to 8oz warmish water to start; if it tastes bitter, then

less next time); popcorn is good for constipation if she tolerates it.

I have alot of problems with this and I use psyllium fiber capsules from

Carlson Labs (only 2, as they GIVE me constipation with more) along

with a turkey rhubarb capsule (an herb that would normally cause diarhhea,

but with the fiber caps works perfectly for me).  My nutritionist suggested

this.  Good luck.

===============================

One said it does sound like Crohns or UC, problems would be higher in small

intestine.  She has had sigmoid surgery and suggested a limited scope of

just the sigmoid, rectum and anus.

======================================

Most people said it is probably not serious but check it out.

======================================

She may be lactose intolerant and that means butter, also.  There is a IBS

diet, also that you might want to look into.  I can't eat anything with a

high fat content (i.e. hamburger, chuck roast, bacon, hot dogs, etc.)  If I

have lactose or high fat foods I get really sick. You might try eliminate

some of these things from her diet to see if that helps.

Someone said she might be getting gluten and to take

veratraum alb 30c...2 pills  after each bowel movement. and

WITH EACH MEAL, one probiotics complex and one l-glutamine,

these were recommended by her MD.

One suggestion food allergy like corn can trigger blood spotting.