Date:
Thu, 4 Sep 2003 14:41:01 -0500

Dear Listmates,

Since our team, Manchester United, has been touring the US winning both
new fans and the tournament, we thought we'd let celiacs know that at
their home ground, Old Trafford, the "Red Café" is not terribly
celiac-friendly.

Fries are not safe, as they are fried in the same oil as breaded
products.  Hamburgers contain bread crumbs.  My celiac son and I ended
up sharing a steak, with vegetables on the side, drenched in butter (I
think the chef was trying to compensate for the lack of chips!).  There
was chicken on the menu, but I wasn't sure it wasn't marinated in
something.  The server thought the chips (fries) were safe at first,
then returned to tell me that they weren't, which was good, but he did
keep confusing celiac with peanut allergy, which didn't inspire great
confidence.

Touring Old Trafford was a wonderful experience, but if you go, take
your own picnic or eat before you go.  The only other food was a snack
bar with the usual pizza, sandwiches, etc.

Glory, glory, Man United!

Juliane