From:
Valerie WELLS <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Valerie WELLS <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Oct 2005 14:00:23 -0700

I was in a real hurry last evening to prepare dinner.  I came up with this
recipe using just four ingredients I just happened to have on hand.  The
whole thing, start to finish took less than 30 minutes and -- surprize,
surprize -- it was good.  I don't have exact meaurements or band names of
the ingredients I used, so please don't ask!  I can't tell you.  I don't
think it matters anyway as long as you use enough salsa to keep it from
being dry.

ground beef (about 1 pound)
4 to 6 soft corn tortillas
Large jar chunky salsa, mild (not hot)
extra sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (about 4 ounces)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Brown meat in skillet.  Stir in some salsa.
(I think I used more than a cup in the meat mixture.)  Spread a little salsa
in the bottom of a 9 x 13" casserole dish.  Cover salsa with a single layer
of tortillas (2 to 4, cut some to make 'em fit into empty spaces).  Spread
meat mixture over tortillas & cover with more tortillas as for the bottom.
Spread a thin layer of salsa on top of the tortillas and top with cheese.
Bake 15 minutes until cheese melts.

This is really a simplified version of the chicken enchilada recipe I posted
a few weeks ago.  So, of course, it can be made with cooked shreaded chicken
instead of beef.

Had I had more time & ingredients on hand, I would have added black olives,
garlic, fresh cilantro, fresh green peppers& tomatoes, chili powder, etc. to
the filling, but this hurry up version was surprizingly good.

I had a little leftover rice in the fridge as well, so heated it in a
skillet with a little more of the salsa.  Voila!  Instant Spanich rice.  I
completed the meal with a green salad & simple vinaigrette dressing.

Valerie in Tacoma