From:
Michael Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 May 1996 00:40:54 GMT

Most of the Listowners functions are very rewarding.  Sometimes, an item
is sent to us that is hard to pass along.  Because of the fear associated
with the word (cancer), it was initially hard to forward the post.  But
the following message is appropiate as general information.

The potential for cancers is a problem for anyone.  There has been some
studies that show a higher risks for celiacs.  Most of the knowlegeable
celiac professionals ask that we downplay the association for various
reasons.  I understand their concern and do not believe that they are
hiding bad news from us.

Please do not take this post as a reason to bash doctors.  Their job is
not easy.  There is room for improvement. The ones that we need to speak
to are not members of this List.

----
Michael Jones ([log in to unmask]) Orlando, FL USA
One of the Celiac & Cel-Kids Listowners

---------
Dear Mr Jones

You may remember my last mail to you concerning my mother who was
apparantly not responding to the coeliac diet. I regret to say that my
mother died two weeks ago.

During my research into Coeliac I discovered a link which you are no doubt
aware of between Coeliac and Lymphoma. My mother died of Lymphoma. I would
not wish to be alarmist but I think it would be valuable to suggest to
other coeliacs that if they are not responding to the diet then they
should be checked for Lymphoma.

Because my mother was a known Coeliac, the doctors simply convinced
themselves that she was not following the diet properly and failed to
attribute her continuing weight loss to the correct diagnosis. You can
imagine how I feel about her doctors so called expertise.

I do not know how to post this message up in the correct place and I would
be very grateful if you would do this for me in case I am able to prevent
another tragedy.

thank you

Andy Rumble