From:
Bill Vellios <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Jan 1997 02:52:15 -0500

An idea.
  All of the support groups need to be working together to make everyone
aware of the definition of the word Celiac Disease and Dermatitis
Herpetiformis; and what are considered to be the definite associations and
probable associations of other diseases. All of these other groups should be
working with us in one mass effort to educate the general public about gluten
and its probable connection to all of these diseases.
  With enough effort we can get the United States Congress to declare a
national "Celiac Disease and Related Disorder  Awareness Day"; a gluten free
day.
  The members of Congress have e-mail addresses and so do all of the major news
media. Doctors, health professionals, medical schools and others, need to be
contacted too.
  One month could be spent flooding them with e-mail, regular mail, phone
calls, and ect.  Everyone could tell of their experiences, their perceptions,
and how good health is important for everyone. One could even inform them of
food companies that are rude or refuse to give any information when
questioned about the gluten content of their products.
  I think an effort like this , would be more effective than trying to get
any changes in the labeling of foods. This effort might wake up those who
keep fighting  against better labeling.
  One month  could be spent organizing this effort and the next month let the
action begin.
  Let's do it!  Or, am I "barking up the wrong tree".
  Let me now your thoughts.

Bill Vellios Sr.,  St. Louis, Missouri