From:
Sheryl Tingley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 May 1999 22:52:41 PDT

I received a lot of email about flax seed. I am sold.

I've learned that flax contains large amounts of omega 3 and 6 essential
fatty acids.

It works as a laxative and should start out with smallish amounts to
determine what my body can handle.

Most people use it in their baking: bread, cakes, muffins,cookies, and
waffles. Also on salads, cottage cheese (oil), yogurt, hot and cold cereal,
rice cakes with peanut butter and the oil can be used for home-made salad
dressing. I also received a granola recipe from someone.

It is good fiber to reduce cholesterol.

Was told that the oil must be refridgerated and never heated.

Many people said the seed has to be ground or milled to get benefits of
amino 3s. Whole seed does not digest well. Grinding allows access to the
minerals.

Degrades quickly so should be in airtight container. Only ground as much as
you need. Is also sensitive to light

Some take the oil a tablespoon at a time just like it is.

Dr Mirkin says that it should be ground and cooked.

Coffee grinder is a great way to grind small amounts.

Thank you all. I have started to use the flax seed and you all were right
about the laxative effect it has. :). I appreciate all your suggestions.

As always,
Sheryl Tingley
Auburn, WA

        "Friendship is a sheltering tree"  ;)