From:
Carolyn Mann <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Carolyn Mann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Aug 2004 20:25:25 -0700

First of all I received the following post from someone else:

Besides the obvious problem of wheat based Vit E, there is another
problem.....it thins the blood.  It thinned mine so much that I bled
behind the retina and almost went blind. Be very careful in the amt that
you take and get checked by md!

Response to scary post: Thank you.  Your post this morning is
invaluable.  I am a retired MD, active in our local CD support group
where my wife participates.  She and four of our six children are
celiac.  She and I are in our 80's.  We both have medical reasons for
anticoagulation and we both use Vitamin E 400IU 3x/week with resultant
easy bruising, tattooed skin (purple red ecchymoses) but no bleeding or
oozing.  My doctor tolerated my whimsy in this unorthodoxy, but neither
he nor I nor an internist I consulted had any idea of the information
you cite from D'Adamo's book.  Do you have an exact reference? You might
be interested to know that blood platelets are restored 1/12th in number
each day.  In other words it takes 12 days for today's platelets to
completely disappear from the blood.  I am assuming that today's Vitamin
E affects only today's new platelets (I know that is the case with
aspirin).  But I want to check that out.  The fact that our system of
3x/week dosing succeeds suggests it is true. Also, the current oral
anticoagulent, Plavix, costs about $100/month and has not been shown to
be any more effective than 81mg of aspirin in thinning blood.  I am
looking forward to showing your post to my doctor.  Maybe now he will
listen to me.

Carolyn's comments to above post:  The book Eat Right for Your Blood
Type by Peter J. D'Adamo, ND, page 91:  "Vitamin E   Likewise, I would
not recommend vitamin E supplements for Type Os because they might also
complicate Type O tendencies toward slower blood clotting.  Instead,
derive vitamin E from food in your diet."  In his Live Right for your
Blood Type he states that blood type O should avoid wheat germ oil and
for Type A, B, and AB wheat germ oil is listed as neutral.  Someone
inquired about all blood types. Several years ago he had a message board
on his website:  www.dadamo.com <http://www.dadamo.com/>  and his site
also had food lists.  Vitamin E was listed as avoid for type O and
neutral for type A.  Type B and AB were listed as unknown.  That food
list that was printed out on January 14, 1999 may be outdated now.
D'Adamo's most recent book:  Eat Right for Your Type Complete Blood Type
Encyclopedia, 2002, page 545 wheat germ oil is listed as neutral for
type A, B, and AB.  For type O:  "Avoid: Provokes abnormal blood
reaction; increases intestinal imbalance; increases polyamine or indican
levels."  On page 581 of the same book the chart shows Vitamin E - Blood
Group-Specific Beneficial Effect  All Blood Groups Surgical Recovery
Powerful antioxidant that protects cell membranes and other fat-soluble
parts of the body, such as LDL cholesterol.  Helps in wound healing and
decreases the amount of adhesions that may form after certain surgeries.

Centrum chewable contains less vit E and is GF!

For a multi-vitamin without E - try Freeda vitamins.  They're GF as well
as usually free of dairy, corn, and other common allergens.

As always, the best way to get your nutrients is through food, not
multi-vitamins. There are no studies that show any improvement in any
health condition by taking a multi-vitamin, yet Juice Plus has 12
studies (and growing) that show real health results from taking capsules
(or chewables) that contain 17 fruits and vegetables in a dehydrated
form. Almost no one can eat the 5-6 lbs of fruits and vegetables a day
provided by Juice Plus. We are certified gluten free. I have been taking
it for 3 years and DO have a family history of clotting disorders
(including hemophilia in the males). No problems whatsoever.  Please
check out the research and talk to your doctor about it -
http://www.marylandjp.com <http://www.marylandjp.com/>

May I ask if you take other supplements or medications that may thin the
blood such as NSAID's, garlic or ginko or ASA?  Do you have any other
medical conditions that could cause bleeding problems, diabetes or HTN?
Am I correct that you were taking 600IU vitamin E per day?  [Answer:
No, I don't take any medications-just multiple vit and extra C and E. No
diabetes or HTN (what is that?) I was taking 200 IU dry in multiple and
200IU oil in separate supplement.  I emailed the poster who had bleeding
behind the retina and the response was 400 IU per day for her/him.]

I have been toying with the idea of starting to take Vitamin E after
stopping because my Dr said not to take Vit E and therapeutic aspirin at
the same time.  I'm in my 40's and on my dad's side we have heart
disease and dangerous clots so I started the aspirin about 4 years ago
and stopped the vit e soon after because I read that one shouldn't take
both at the same time because it could cause internal bleeding.  I used
to get nose bleeds as well and that was a danger sign to me. I do know
that blood-thinners can cause bruising - I've seen the bruising and it
looks like someone was beaten up.  I think when it comes to
blood-thinners, we may think that the thinner the blood, the better, but
when it comes to the blood, I think it better to go with what the Dr's
say coupled with good research.
Research sure is not very thorough on the Vitamin E side so I think I
will stick with the tried and true aspirin since it has gone through
much more rigorous testing (given the money that these drug companies
spend to ensure they can advertise the benefits).

I took Vit E too -- for a long time -- to get rid of flat warts on the
backs of my hands. I, too, had occasional nose bleeds! I had no idea it
may have been the Vitamin E!!