From:
Laura Horvath <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Laura Horvath <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Mar 2005 02:39:34 -0500

part 2
we just went to Maui in December. We stayed at Waiohuli Beach Hale in
Kihei (booked through AA Oceanfront Condo Rentals -
www.aaoceanfront.com 800-488-6004). I would highly recommend the
agency and the condo. The supermarket (Star) is 1 walking block away
and had rice cakes. There is a natural food store "Down to Earth" next
to Costco by the airport (search the archives for Maiu and you'll find
more info), but we didn't go there, because the traffic by the airport
was crazy. We brought a suitcase of food - loafs of Kinnikinnick
bread, GF pancake flour, rice crackers, rice pasta packages, GF soy
sauce, and cooked at our condo all the time, except twice -- see
below.
There is a fantastic Thai restaurant in Kihei, 2 blocks away from
where we stayed, where all items are GF (at least 50 dishes!!!). It's
called Royal Thai Cuisine in the back of Azeka Shopping Center, 1280
South Kihei Rd #24, Kihei, Maui, phone 874-0813. We ate there twice
and bought a bunch of dishes for the airplane ride home. Prices are
around $8 per dish.
On the way to Hawaii, we brought our own food for the plane ride.
They don't let you bring fresh fruit/vegetables into Hawaii, and you
can't bring them out either. So on the way there, bring the
fruit/veggies just for the plane ride, and on the way home, don't
bring them at all.
Down to Earth store response

We do not carry enviro kids cereals, bars, or cookies.  If you can e-mail
XXX the amounts and types of envirokids you would like we can order and
have for you by March. 9th.  However we would need to have the order by
Sunday, February 27th.   The special order would arrive on island March
9th, pending no shipping delays.  We do carry the ener-g crackers,
pretzels, brown rice and tapioca bread.  All kinds of tinkyada pasta.
Gluten free pancake mix.  the Pamelas products.  Ginger Midel cookies.
Many food for life breads that are gluten fress.  Muir glen products. Many
organic pasta sauces.   Amys frozen dinners, annies dressings.  None of
the Kinnikinnick.  Thanks Lori
The Kapalua Villas - especially the Ridge - are wonderful.  Have
stayedthere 3 times.
There is a Safeway in Lahaina with a whole aisle of Asian food.  Bring the
Safeway GF list with you and be sure to bring/get a Safeway customer card.
Groceries are very expensive and this will give you good discounts.
There is a Wendy's or McDonald's in the next crossroads down from Kapalua -
I forget the name.
There is a Health Food Store on the road from the airport in Kahului - has
'Earth' in the name.
The Honolua Store in the Kapalua compound (on Office Rd) has gf rice
crackers from Taiwan (hot kid but with no wheat starch) plus local fruit.
The prepared food there is excellent - much of it Phillipino dishes (my
husband is Phillipino) - for the non-gf in your group (I think there was 1
dish there my daughter could eat - I think it was the chicken adobo which
is traditionally made with Fish sauce, not soy sauce).  Breakfast is good
too (bacon, eggs, rice) and my daughter ate that with no problems.

We travel to Maui in 2003.   Mana Foods, in Pa'ia on Maui had good
selection of gluten free foods.  Also, with the influence of
Asian/Pacific, rice noodles are available in the grocery stores. Not
Tinkyda. Real Chinese or Japanese rice noodles.  Rice noodles were often
on the menu and could be substituted in various dishes at local
restaurants.  As to traveling, especially with children, pack food for the
plane trip. I carried on a large beach bag as my carry on bag. It
contained a small flexible cooler with our food, my purse, and just about
everything else I would need for the 1st 24 hours on the trip. In the
cooler, I had two water bottles (frozen) to keep everything cool, snack
packs like tuna salad, rice crackers, muffins, fruit, cheese, deli meat,
chips. One word of caution, on the return trip, you cannot bring fresh
fruit away from Hawaii back to the mainland. Agriculture inspectors
inspected everything. Our bananas were confiscated.While in Hawaii, focus
on fresh fish, local vegetables, and fruit. The fruit smoothies are the
best.

I went to Hawaii in Sept/Oct 04.  While in Maui we stayed in a condo near
Lahina.  Here's the website
http://www.mauicondosoceanfront.com/condos/index.htm
Very nice condo and I could cook there.  Whole Foods has a store near the
Maui
airport.  Forrest Gumps is a great place to eat in Lahina and was very good
about the gluten free restrictions.  DO NOT eat at the Fish Company in
downtown
Lahina.  The chef came out and assurred me the food was gluten free but it
wasn't.  I was sick all night and spent the next day in bed.  I was too
sick to
eat anything but rice the rest of the trip.  You can find rice almost
anywhere
in Hawaii, even at MacDonalds.  Have a great trip!!
While United is supposed to have g.f. meals, they may not be what a small
child would want to eat.  Or, be served at time when he/she's hungry.
Pack a variety of shelf stable things your child like...canned fruit,
possibly the jarred toddler hot dogs, packages of string cheese, crackers.
If you have a layover, be prepared to have snacks for then as well.
Carry some cereal and other g.f staples in your carryon in case the
luggage doesn't arrive when you do.
ORIGINAL EMAIL
Hello listmates,
I am in the process of organizing a quick trip to Maui (Kapalua I think)
in the next few weeks.  This would be the first MAJOR trip since my 2 year
old was diagnosed and I am in need of the following:
 - Grocery Stores with GF brands (tinkyada, etc.) so I don't have to haul
everything from home
 - Any restaurant recommendations ( the more kid friendly, the better)
 - ANy recommendations on places to stay.  I think we are just going to
find a condo to rent (I like Kapalua Villas) but would love to hear of any
celiac-friendly places to stay...it will be myself, husband, and two kids
(one 1 year old and one 2 year old)...one or two bedrooms are preferred
 - Any recommendations for the flight (what to bring, how to pack, etc.) I
think we are flying United and they now have the gluten free meals but not
sure if I want to chance it...any thoughts?
I will compile all the responses and send out a summary!
THANK YOU!