From:
"W. ANTHONY LOE" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Jul 1997 12:27:33 -0400

The following is the summary we received from our inquiry pertaining to the
appropriateness of administering the above medications to our son.
We'd like to thank everyone who took the time to respond to our inquiry!

Our son has noise/ringing in his ears.  His ENT prescribed Vancenase AQ
Nasal spray and Claritin.  Before administering these drugs we contacted
the manufacturer (the Schering Corporation) and they could not state
whether either of these drugs were gluten free.  Thus, our inquiry...

No one who responded reported any difficulties regarding either of these
medications.

Seven individuals who responded stated they have used the Vancenase Nasal
Spray for varying periods of time (in one case for two years), without any
problems or complications.

Eight who responded stated they have taken Claritin without problems or
complications.

One writer also suggested massage therapy (cranial sacral therapy) as an
alternative which would promote drainage of the sinuses.

Another person recommended using "Call Our Pharmacist"  1-900-903-7847 at
$1.99 per minute to receive drug information.  (Have name of medication and
pharmaceutical company ready.)  This person also mentioned a compound
pharmacy, Stokes Pharmacy (800)754-5222 or http://www.stokesrx.com  that
will make and send you what you need in a gluten free form--if you cannot
find it locally.  This pharmacy is in NJ.

One responder suggested seeing an allergist instead of an ENT.

Cindy in NJ gave info. regarding prescription meds in the e-mail she wrote
to the list on June 24, 1997.

Two people who responded voiced their  concerns about giving these drugs to
a child--steroid side effects and possible long term use.

One person felt that the ENT really dropped the ball in prescibing these
medications.  When a patient cannot use certain drugs due to possible side
effects the doctor should prescribe alternative meds.

Based on the foregoing information we administered the two drugs to our
six-year-old son, as prescribed by the ENT.  (Our son's frustration was
growing each night.)  We observed behavior changes and mood swings which we
believe were attributable to one or both of these drugs--as they were the
only modifications to his diet.  In addition  to the behavioral changes,
the noise/ringing persisted.  Therefore, we stopped  the meds!

The ENT said that our son's response could have been to Claritin--the drug
itself, not necessarily to gluten.  We plan to pursue several of the
suggestions listed in this summary.

Again, thank you very much for your input and concern.

Tony
Fort Lauderdale, Florida  USA