From:
anne steib <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
anne steib <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Apr 2010 21:23:27 -0500

Thank you so so much for everyone's responses.  I listed them below.
I choose one recipe (from Amy Roberts) that seemed easy and I had
everything on hand and it turned out so amazingly good!  Thank you
Vidalia Patterson  for forwarding it to me. I even wrote a blog post
about it.  I could have eaten the whole batch myself, they were that
good!

http://tinyurl.com/yorkshirepudding

-----------------------------------

- There's a great recipe at http://www.123glutenfree.com/Recipes.html

- There's one that looks good (but I haven't tried) in "Healthy Gluten-
Free Cooking" by Darina Allen and Rosemary Kearney. I like all the
things I've made out of it so far, including the sponge cake and soda
bread.

-  am camping so do not have my recipe but I think that all I did to
change my G-grandmother's recipe was to add some dry gelatin to it and
several tablespoons of leftover mashed potatoes to it.  I hope someone
else has tried it and has notes about the changes they made.  I added
the mashed potatoes because I thought it was too runny and perhaps it
was supposed to be runny.
My mother said that the leftovers were not good the next day but mine
microwaved well and tasted fresh the next day. I used a flour mix that
I had made using Bette Hagman's Featherlight directions,  1/3 rice
flour, 1/3 tapioca flour and 1/3 corn starch.
And perhaps it is Featherlite.

-   Gluten Free Yorkshire Pudding

   2/3 cup of gluten-free flour mix (any)
   1/3 cup of corn starch or potato starch (we used corn starch)
   1/2 tsp. salt (or up to 1 tsp to taste)
   1/4 tsp gluten free baking powder
   1/4 tsp xanthum gum
   2-3 whole eggs (we used 2)
   1 cup milk or half & half
   Drippings from roast beef (we used vegetable oil)

   Preheat oven to 425

   Mix all dry ingredients well.  Beat eggs separately, then add to
dry ingredients, mixing well with electric hand mixer.  Finally, add
the milk or cream and beat for a couple of minutes (should be the
consistency of thick cream).

   Pour a little beef drippings into each muffin cup.  I use about 1
tsp, in each, but we like ours "greasy".  You really just need to line
the bottom of each cup for this to work.  Then put the muffin tins
into the oven and heat til the oil is VERY hot.

   Distribute the batter evenly into the 12 muffin cups and bake at
425 for 15 minutes.  If the puddings are well risen by then, turn the
oven down to 375 and finish cooking them (should be about 5-10
minutes)  You can tell by looking at them how moist they are.  Just
cook until they look right to you.

   This has worked perfectly for me (after much previous
experimentation) 6 to 7 times now.  I doubt anyone could tell the
difference between these and Yorkshire pudding made with wheat flour.

   Happy dining!

- Hi,
This is in the latest issue of Crossed Grain, the newsletter of
Coeliac UK:

Yorkshire Pudding
Makes 9-10 puddings

50g (2oz  cornflour
50g (2 oz g.f. white mix or g.f. flour*
(or a blend of soy, potato and rice flour in equal proportions)
Pinch of salt
3 medium eggs, beaten
140ml (1/4 pint milk
2 tbs vegetable oil

Method

1.  Pre-heat overn to 220C, 425F - Gas mark 7
2. Place the oil in a muffin tray and heat for about 5 minutes
3.  Mix the dry ingredients in a bowl, and then add beaten eggs to
form a thick batter.
4.  Add the milk and whisk again.
5. Pour into the murrin tray and cook for 20-25 minutes until well
risen and golden brown.

anne steib
gluten-free musings
www.glutenfreemusings.com