From:
Valerie WELLS <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Valerie WELLS <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Jan 2008 17:46:57 -0800

Thanks to everyone who contributed.  ~Valerie in Tacoma
I came up with a very good all purpose mix of my own too because the store bought mixes are just too expensive. I use a 2# bag of brown rice flour &2# bag of white rice flour & 2 # of potato starch flour & 1/2 # of tapioca flour.It is a simple dump and mix blend that works with just about all.If I am doing cakes I will sub sweet rice flour for about 1/3 of the mix and like you ,I add the xanthum gum per each recipe.This has served me very well.I recently tried Bob,s red mill gluten free oats and made my first batch of oatmeal cookies since stopping gluten.they turned out great.Keep the home fires burning.Jeff in Balto
GF Flour mix: 2 c brown rice flour, 2 c white rice flour, 1 1/2 c sweet rice flour, 1 1/3 c tapioca starch, 2/3 c cornstarch, 1/2 c rice bran and 2 tsp xanthan gum. Sift together several times. I usually 4x this recipe and keep extra in the freezer. Works well in all my old cookie & bar recipes - even rolled out sugar cookies. Jan from ND

I find, like you, that pretty much a blend of a couple of flours works.  I do not eat many grains, doing more Paleo so I do not get to bake that often, but what works for me is a blend of sorghum flour, corn flour & a little of something else like coconut flour or almond meal.  I think that tapioca mixed with sorghum and corn flour makes a perfect "flour" but I cannot tolerate tapioca.  I also do not eat soy flour & I hate the taste of rice flour.  It seems that once you get the hang of baking gluten free that it is easy to convert your regular recipes.  I did just make some chocolate chip cookies with sorghum, corn flour & rice flour, they were perfect but I could still taste the rice flour.  but I had a new bag of rice flour as an experiment & it was not the non gritty kind... I hanged my recipe so that the next time I would just sub in the coconut flour for the rice flour. I do not buy Bob's red Mill brand, I order my sorghum flour direct from the mill.
jeanne webb Houston
My bread mixes are similar in some ways. You can check them out in http://home.comcast.net/~vhdolcourt/gfbaking. I don't use rice flour, but I do use corn starch and tapioca starch with the sorghum mix. If you have Asian food stores, then you can save money on the tapioca flour. I get my yeast and corn starch at a bakery supply. I agree with you: Xanthan gum and yeast are added separately and when they are required. We tend to use Guar gum for cakes as recommended by Annalise Roberts. Often we mix the Xanthan and Guar gums together 50%-50% for stretchiness and springiness. Best regards,Vic-Sunnyvale, CA-----------
1 box Tres Estrellas rice flour (Walmart), 1 bag Bob's Red Mill Sweet Sorghum flour, 1/3 bag Bob's Red Mill tapioca starch