From:
Christine Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Christine Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 May 2010 21:16:40 -0700

My seven year old son (diagnosed 18 months ago with celiac disease) had his yearly celiac checkup last week, and got his labs drawn. On Friday the doctor called back and left us a message, and I had no chance to talk with him yet personally, but wanted some input from the group. His celiac markers are normal, but the H1B1 is borderline high, as well as a slightly high glucose. the latter i can explain through his eating a bar of chocolate the hour before the blood test, but the h1b1 worries me a bit. Could this be an early sign of diabetes? How do I find out more? Is there anything to prevent diabetes developing, or if the autoimmune process has already began, to stop it? I htought most of the times children with diabetes are diagnosed with celiac, this is also what the GI person told us in our first visit, but how often does the celiac come first, then the diabetes?  Lots of questions, thankful for any input.
Christine